Full spread vinyl sheet

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cskal

I think that this is more a decorating question than a repair question, so apologies if this should be in the repair forum.

I am installing a full spread vinyl sheet floor in my bathroom. Depending on the type of underlayment used, a specific trowel type is needed for the adhesive application. I installed 1/4" underlayment grade plywood and then skim coated the entire floor with the Henry featheredge to fill the dents from the staples. Now the question is should I use the trowel specified for porous floors (plywood) or the trowel for the non-porous (cement like the Henry's)? While there is a small difference in the dimensions of the trowels, it appears to be important enough that the adhesive and floor covering manufacturer specifically calls out which trowel to use with which underlayment. BTW, Armstrong vinyl sheet and Armstrong adhesive.

Chris
JD
Site Admin

I am not positive, but I think the trowel size is dependent on the adhesive used and not so much the substrate. Henrys, Ardex, Mapai and all that floor compound stuff is porous. The substrate would need to comply with the vinyl manufacturer's instructions, which would be your 1/4" underlayment grade plywood and the flooring compound. When I do my floors, it is mostly plywood with the feather finish at the joints and fasteners. Right next to these things, the ardex is so thin you can see through it. But maybe I don't know. It has been a long time since I read the instructions. :)

While I do install a lot of vinyl flooring, I am not a flooring expert. I have a flooring sub-contractor that proves that to me all the time.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
cskal

Since both the Henry's and the underlayment are considered porous, it sounds like I should use the recommended 1/16 x 1/16 x 3/32 trowel that the Armstrong adhesive specifies. That makes sense to me since this will apply slightly more adhesive than the 1/16 x 1/16 x 5/64 trowel. Since I am laying the vinyl in the small utility room first, any goofs will not really be noticed. I can learn from any mistakes so that when I do the bathroom floor itself I have a better idea of what does or does not work. Thanks for the reply. :)