finding/creating downspout for mini gutters

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

p3purr

I'm setting up DIY rain barrels and am having trouble finding downspouts for the mini gutter on my mobile home. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on how to find them or some way to rig one.

Doesn't have to be pretty. I'm in an old mobile home park and I don't/can't spend much more money. I have gardens and the park is pushing not watering so I really could use barrels but would prerfer not to leave t them open due to position they'd need to be and potential algae problems.

It's frustrating when when something i think should be simple turns into a major project. :roll:

Thanks
Patricia
Greg

Hi & welcome. The mini gutters are really nothing more than a large drip edge. You will need to fabricate some type of downspout. The problem will come when you get a heavy rain and it is more than the gutters can handle. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

I once saw a home where the owner had attached a small drain at the end of the gutter at 90* to the house that extended out about 6 inches. He attached a long chain to the end of it that went down to the ground. It worked quite well except when there was a very heavy down pour.
If you did this the chain would simply stop at the top of the barrel and the barrel could have a screen over the top to keep out bugs and leaves.