Hanging kitchen cabinets

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

steelworkersgal

My husband is a little worried that the new cabinets are going to be to heavy to hang on our walls. They will be a little longer then what we now have and two extra ones added. We think the inside walls are 2X3 studs at least we are hoping they are not smaller then that. But we are not sure of the outside walls.

I hate to take down the paneling just to check. I tried calling the company, but they are no longer in business so I called the company that bought them out and they have no idea either (They really were no help). my home is 1999 16X20 Chandelur (I think that's the proper spelling). Anyone have any idea..........

Anyway I've read most all the post on this web site and I think we are safe as long as we hit the studs. Any help/advice is appreciated.
Greg

With a home that new the inside walls should be at least a 2x3 if not 2x4, the outside walls should be at least 2x6.

You should be fine hanging the new cabinets as long as you hit the studs. If you really have concerns you could always add a couple of spindles from the upper to lower cabinets for added support. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

An easy way to determine the thickness of a wall is to go to a door opening and measure the jamb width. Then just subtract for the casing and drywall/panel material.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
steelworkersgal

Thank you for the replies.

I do know my outside walls are not 2x6's (I wish they were) as the window wells are not very deep and neither are the door jams. They are 2x4 or 2x3 (I hope not the latter) as I would like to eventually replace my front and back doors to regular house doors.

I was hoping someone else had the same home I did and could of given me some information regarding the structure. That's okay, this site has given me the support I need to do some of the work myself.