Paint Brand

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

marriednamobile

Just wondering which ones you guys have had success, and failures with.
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
Jim from Canada

I liked Behr from HD. Hated ICI paint, it was like water and ran no matter how you applied it.
Yanita

Hi,

I like Sherwin Williams, Valspar, and Behr. Had really bad luck with Laura Ashley paint. Seems to be real thin and coverage was minimal regardless of how many coats I used.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
marriednamobile

Jim- what is ICI?
Yanita, I have heard great stuff about SW, but a lot of other stick built homeowners and contractors seem to HATE Behr paint for some reason, even though Consumer Reports rated it very highly.
Jim from Canada

ICI may be a Canadian brand, available at Colour your world stores....terrible stuff!
Greg

You have no idea how many gallons of ICI paint I used to line Soccer fields over the years!! It worked fine on grass!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

Valspar exterior for vinyl works great.
2 coats covered Blue and dries hard.
Interior was Glidden Gripper for undercoating and Kilz interior/exterior from Walmart.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
flcruising

We've had just as good results with Walmart's ColorPlace(?) paint as with Sherwin Williams actually.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
marriednamobile

great replies, thanks everyone, I'll post pics of the finished doors/rooms soon, the Kilz primer and paint are working out great, everyone was right, a gallon of paint can make a huge difference!
chablis

I've used Behr, and the stuff seems to wash off. After that experience, I've used Sherwin Williams successfully, and haven't switched since.
Chablis
marriednamobile

I've heard so many raves for SW paint, isn't it really expensive though?
chablis

If I recall, it was $28 a gallon for the Duration line. The SW stores frequently do have sales and specials, this week, they have a 25 % off offer on Duration. You can also register for something called their Preferred Buyer program, sometimes there are discounts for that.

All of their employees are knowledgeable about the performance of all their products, and have a really educated eye for color as well. I like being able to bring something in (just about anything) and get a direct color match for it. I do classical ballet, and converted one of the two extra bedrooms to a small studio (it also contains my computer desk and a small reading area.) I took a pair of ballet shoes with me to SW and they were able to scan the shoe and come up with an exact match for it. The results are stunning, and if I had a decent digital camera, I'd post pictures.

I look at it this way: I hate painting so much that I only want to do it maybe once every ten years or so. So I want something that will hold up to cleaning and environmental wear and tear. If a $30 a gallon paint will do that and a $11 a gallon paint will not, I'm willing to part with the extra money to get the job done well the first time!

I figure I get what I pay for.
Chablis
JD
Site Admin

The last time I checked, Duration was $42 a gallon, retail. When I had an account with them, they gave a significant discount to their contractors. I guess I don't paint enough for their discount program anymore. Oh well. Great paint!

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
rs.shadow0000

I like Sherwin Williams, Valspar, and Behr. Had absolutely bad luck with Laura Ashley paint. Seems to be absolute attenuate and advantage was basal behindhand of how abounding coats I used.