New here, question about TSP and texture compound

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lenora_D

Hello everyone I'm new and have been lurking on this forum, soaking up all sorts of information about painting wall board and cabinets. Today I went to Lowe's and bought a stool/stepladder (hybrid-looking thing), primer, TSP in powdered form, and a few more things.

The salesman suggested mortar for that under-neath texture, but I'm beginning to wonder if that might be too brittle, although I plan to apply it very thinly, as I have a good deal of experience in painting fake rocks and stone in various artworks, and really don't need much thickness. So my first question is:

Should I not have gotten mortar?

I started to get auto putty instead of mortar; they had plenty of that. I saw that someone here had mentioned a joint compound. People at Lowe's didn't seem to understand. Or maybe I said it wrong. If you get joint compound, what kind of packaging does it come in?

I mixed the TSP as directed, one cup to a gallon of water. I went ahead and followed that with a cloth soaked in nothing but water, 'cause it said to rinse. But I see that at least one poster said she didn't rinse. So my next question is:

Should I rinse after the TSP wash?

I've already taken a before picture. If this goes ok, I'll post before and after. Wow, I've rambled quite a bit. Thanks in advance.

Lenora
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

I have done many textured walls and never used mortar. I my opinion it is not needed.

Joint compound/Sheetrock mud same difference. It is the "mud used to between the seams of newly sheet rocked walls. It comes in pre mixed form or powder and you mix your own. I personally like the pre mixed. You can get it in the one gallon size or 5 gallon size at any home improvement store.

Yes, When I wash my walls I always rinse with a clean rag repeatedly rinsed in clean clear water. To not do so will leave a residue on your wall.

Good luck with your project and be sure to post pics.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lenora_D

Thanks for your reply Yanita; hmm...I'm thinking about taking the mortar back to Lowe's and getting the joint compound that you talk about. I'm thinking it just might be less prone to cracking.
Lenora_D

Here is an update. Day before yesterday, I washed the area with TSP and rinsed it. This afternoon, I applied primer. I could tell it needed another coat. It said wait an hour to apply any more latex, so I waited about 3 hours, then applied the second coat, using a rag-wrapped, thin paintbrush because I like the effect.

When I finished, I noticed some places that looked like drips. They were actually bubbles of wallpaper. I started peeling, and now the entire section is stripped. There is still an imprint of the pattern on the wall. Weird situation. This is a double-wide with the expected wallboard and cute little matching battens. Now, I suppose I should sand it maybe, then apply primer again??

Surely don't want to TSP it I'm afraid it'll start dissolving or something.
Lenora_D

I see this thread's getting a fair amount of views, so I'll post another update.

I took another look at the wall and decided to go ahead and do another TSP wash. I was afraid there might be rubbery glue there or something. Then, I rinsed. There were some granules that came off, and rather than continue to wipe and create more granules, I used a dry soft brush and swished them off.

In further perusing the forum, I read where someone pointed out that bonding primer should be used. I looked on my can and it doesn't say bonding primer, although is does say it can be used on wallpaper. But tomorrow I plan to get some bonding primer. Meanwhile, my wall is drying.
Willc

Zissner bullseye forms a texture when it dries and helps hide smooth drywall to vinyl wallboard joints . It is ten times better than KILZ imho
Starting over remodel junkie
Lenora_D

New update:

Well, I went to Lowe's and asked for the "bonding" primer. The lady said she had never heard of a primer with that on the label, and I could not find anything that said that. I could not find any premixed joint compound. I just didn't get anything and headed back to the house.

I used the same primer that I had used before to prime the now stripped wallboard (stripped of it's paper covering, I mean). I had already rewashed it, as indicated in a previous post. After it dried, I just used paint and no compound. I wanted the look of some type of stone, and I think I did a good job, but I can't see how to upload images. I'll contact an admin and see about uploading the images.

[/img]
JD
Site Admin

You can find full instructions on uploading pictures in a Sticky in the Website Questions forum. Here is a link to it.

viewtopic.php?t=2414

I am not sure what you read about a bonding primer, but you may be looking for a product like Zinsser Gardz. This is not really a paint. It goes on and dries clear. It is specifically made for priming raw drywall or raw textures made from joint compound or similar products.

Sorry to hear your wall paper lifted from the panel. That usually doesn't happen to the vinyl clad wall board.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Trudi

Hi Lenora,
Even if the term "Bonding Primer" isn't on the can, there should be something indicating that it can be used on a surface without sanding. It "bonds" with the surface and gives it tooth, which allows the paint to adhere to it, and eventually cure with it, so all blends together on the wall. At least that's the way I think of it. :)

It's too bad that someone worked in the paint dept. who didn't know what a bonding primer was. :shock: Anxious to see pics.
Lenora_D

JD wrote:You can find full instructions on uploading pictures in a Sticky in the Website Questions forum. Here is a link to it.

viewtopic.php?t=2414

I am not sure what you read about a bonding primer, but you may be looking for a product like Zinsser Gardz. This is not really a paint. It goes on and dries clear. It is specifically made for priming raw drywall or raw textures made from joint compound or similar products.

Sorry to hear your wall paper lifted from the panel. That usually doesn't happen to the vinyl clad wall board.

JD
Thank you for the link and thank you all for the advice. The upload image button is missing. When I bring up a reply window, that button is not there. That's why I'm thinking it needs to be enabled for each person, or that each person has to make a certain number of posts before they can upload images; I'm just guessing though.
JD
Site Admin

I enabled your picture upload feature for your profile. Your upload button should ne there now.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Lenora_D

Thank you JD!

Okay, here are some pics:

Here is the pile of paper from the wallboard and the now naked :oops: wallboard with faint wallpaper prints.Image

Here I have started applying primer again, since the first application had caused the wall paper to peel.Image

Here is the section after I have applied the fake um...faux finish:

I know the trim needs some work. I am pretty happy with the way the wall looks, though. I used house paint and "flavored" it with various colors from my acrylic collection. I used airbrush colors and outdoor acrylics. And of course it's not really shiny like that. Image

I mostly used a plastic painting knife to apply the paint. I know if I do a full wall, I'll have to use something larger, but for this first time and on such a small section, I opted for a little more control. Oh, the section is about 1.5 ft x 4 ft, so about 6 square feet. Just enough to get my feet wet.
Lenora_D

Seeing that the program is wisely set to resize pictures, I'll upload a cropped version for a better view:

Those little staples on the right don't show up as badly as they appear to here. There was a close light to the right, causing it to cast shadows.
Popsicle_toes

that is simply beautiful! Well done! :D
Doni
proud owner of doni's dump!
Lenora_D

Thank you Doni!