BAthroom vanity looks better now

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

originally I posted 2 pictures of the old vanity.

Image This looks a whole lot better.

A couple of coats of Krylon Fusion Black, $20 worth of handles makes all the difference.
I screwed up on the faux stone counter top, so I trying to rectify my screw up.

More pictures of the rest of the new shower will be along soon.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

Hey,

It still amazes me what a coat of paint can do! Looks good, my guest bath vanity is black, and soon my lower kitchen cabinets will be as well!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Willc

I screwed up mine also I am thinking of grinding all my poly off and leaving it the rought stone texture
Starting over remodel junkie
Trudi

The vanity looks great, and from what I can see, the counter looks good too. How do you think you screwed it up?
Lorne

The "Rustoleum American Accents Stone Texture" went on well and really sticks over an undercoat of Glidden Gripper BUT, after putting a on number of coats of "Clear Spray" on top I left a rag on top that had Alcohol on it.
POOP, it desolved the Clear and when I wiped it off it ate right through to the undercoat.

I tried to touch it up, but it didn't exactly match.

I think I'll put a large Black soap dish over the spot for the time being.

I'm re-coating the surface with Minwax Polycrylic brush on and it is resistant to most liquids. Nice hard surface and wet sands really smooth. Polycrylic comes in a spray also. :roll:
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Trudi

OUCH. That's a shame, after all your hard work. I like the idea of the big soap dish covering it. I always tell people not to think, that where I put things, reflects my taste. There's usually a reason for things being where they are. [like hiding something]
Willc

Stay away from the poly it fubar ed the look of mine I am thinking a spray or a spar finish . They make a matte spray cover for it too.
Lorne

Matt finish will show any grease spots, like finger prints etc.

another small "Ring" spot was left after my wife set a HOT cup of coffee on top. Now this was with the regular spray clear.

This Minwax Polycrylic is supposed to resist water and such.

Every couple of days I "Wet Sand" the counter top with Black 400 grit sand paper wrapped around a wood block with a Green Scotch Pad as a cushion. It sands real easy.

I find that a Foam brush spreads a little easier then a brush.

Look at all the skills we learn being poor.
Yanita

Hi,

Just wanted to comment on the minwax poly acrylic...I used it to cover the top of an antique vanity that serves as the base counter for our master bath....did this about 6 years ago and it is still holding strong.

It has endured all that it has been put through, standing water, damp face clothes, hot cups of coffee, condensation rings from cold drinks, and even a curling iron setting there, in it's proper position though.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Willc

While at home depot today I noticed a clear epoxy top coat kit for 20 bucks. Also lowes is carrying a tintable countertop paint?epoxy kit from rustolium it is near the quarts in the spray paint isle.