woodstove backing

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

I've racked my brain for a long time trying to come up with something not too ugly but fairly cheap (free) to put behind my wood stove which is the main source of my heat. This is what I came up with.
You can use the same kind of metal that is used on pole barns or what Mark describes in his book for a new metal roof. I got some ceramic insulated fence post thingies that electric fence attaches to from my dad to use as spacers. They have a hole in the middle to put a screw through. Then screwed the metal to the ceramic things and into the wall to keep the metal about an inch away from the wall. A 1" space was also left at the bottom and top of the metal pieces so the air can circulate behind the metal. The metal can be obtained in several colors but the kind I had around was white so I just left mine white. I would think it could be painted with some kind of heat resistent paint though. This arrangement seems to work fine, doesn't add a lot of weight, was easy to install and much better than hanging aluminum foil on the wall. Although my stove pipe is double insulated, it gets really hot so for added measure, I plan to also install a heat deflector behind the stovepipe that goes through the ceiling. It's just a piece of metal about 8" wide that hangs from screws and stove wire. A few feet away so the plastic doesn't melt, I have a box fan hung from the ceiling which I keep on low to send the heat down the hallway. I can't say that the back bedroom is very warm but it's tolerable. My stove is just a small box stove which I've elevated on cement blocks to a height which makes it easier for me to load and clean the stove. The floor underneath has a heavy piece of flat metal over it but since the stove is elevated, it doesn't get that hot on the floor anyway but the metal protects the floor from inadvertent hot ashes, etc.
Sure, I would love to have some kind of fancy stone work but this solution works great and was very inexpensive. It could be a simple solution for others like me looking for answers.
Yanita

Hi,

I honestly am not well versed in the requirements of wood stove installations...my advice is get your local fire marshall to inspect your set up, he can tell you whether it is safe or not.

It may cost a few dollars for the inspection, but better that than loss of life or home. Hopefully others will chime in....

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

A backer for wood stove should not have metal connectors going from the hot side into the wall as it directly transfers heat. Code calls for non-metallic fasteners. The manufacturer of the stove, stove pipe, and the chimney will all have clearance requirements for their product. The stove must sit on a non flammable surface that extends 8" out the back and both sides, and 18" from the front. There may be other requirements specific to your brand and your location. You did get a stove rated for Mobile Homes, right? I am all for wood heat, totally against dying for it. Installation of a wood stove requires a building permit. We had a mobile home in our park go up in flames from a cigarette. It took less than 15 minutes for the house to be totally consumed and the occupant JUST got out with help from a neighbour who was alerted by a glow in his window while getting up for a late night trip to the loo. The heat was so intense that it melted part of the front of her car in the driveway several feet away. It even melted the tire. Please be careful.

Jim
busybee1952

I did think about the screws possibly transferring heat into the wall which is why they are spaced so far apart and I didn't use them at all on the part of the backing which receives the most heat. I try not to be too stupid about these cheap and free fixes and do the best I can to research everything thoroughly, be aware of the dangers and pitfals, and make decisions based on what is actually possible and the least dangerous. I think the backing I constructed is 10 times better than the aluminum foil I had on the wall previously.

I know that most of you folks here probably do not understand that sometimes, people just have to use what is available whether it's up to code or not. One must have a place to live and one must live within their means or they will no longer have a place to live.

When there is a choice between freezing to death or living (maybe only a little while longer) with some comfort, the comfort for a little while will win every time. Everything is a danger really. I could fall and bust my head open on the carpet which is just as likely as this place burning down, given my propensity toward clumsiness. If I could afford a stove that is rated for mobile homes and a stove backing approved by the powers that be, I surely would prefer to use that. Instead, I've come up with the best idea I can to be reasonably safe and comfortable. I worried more about having the double insulated stove-pipe and the triple insulated chimney than anything else and that is where all the money was spent. I did follow the recommended clearances as well.

I'm certainly not alone and presented my idea for those like me who just cannot find the means to do things the way the books and inspectors say they must be done.

I do appreciate the feedback though and it's also a good way to inform others who may not be aware of the fact that there is a dangerous aspect to deviating from the accepted methods. Everyone should be fully informed of all possibilities of any project they do in their homes and that is one reason I love this site! Always great information and tips from people who have been there, done that!
Maureen

One more tip, make sure that your home insurance covers whatever you install behind the stove! A fire inspector will tell you what's safe and up to code, But, most insurance companies have their own standards also.

The only thing worse than losing your home, is finding out that it isn't up to your insurance company standard, and they won't pay!

Check your county codes and your insurance company!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
busybee1952

I agree 100% on the insurance thing. Fortunately, my insurance company was only worried about the chimney being triple insulated, the stovepipe being double insulated, the recommended clearances followed, it had to have metal underneath it extending a certain distance beyond the stove, and it had to be installed by a licensed contractor, not necessarily a wood stove installer. They had no requirements about the stove itself which kind of surprised me. Now here is where I complain about the price of this insurance. It costs me more for my $25,000. worth of mobile home insurance than it does for my daughters $125,000 house! I checked around too and no one is cheaper than the company I have. They say it is due to all of the mobile home claims from recent storms, etc. What's worse is that even if I have a total loss on my home, they will only pay me about $5,000.00 for the home itself. So how practical is it really to put in expensive repairs and upgrades? One wants to be comfortable and have a home they enjoy of course and we all hope that no disasters happen but with this in mind, I tend not to be inclined to worry about new windows, hardwood floors and new paneling.