using wall anchors?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kabucha

Hello!

I have a question regarding hanging items on the wall board stuff. Since it is thinner than regular drywall/sheetrock. What type of wall anchors can you use to have heavier items?

We've used regular drywall anchors with screws, but since the walls are so thin, they dont hold well..

any ideas?

Thanks! :)
Harry

Hi

I hang items from the studs. In my home they are 16" apart.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

A long time ago someone mentioned using the new wire hooks that were once advertised on tv. They have a point on one end, push through wall board, turn and let hang...,maybe someone will have a link or more info on these.

I have paneling so really can not say what to use. In my other home that had wallboard I hung everything that was substantial weight from studs, everything else was hung using finish nails or push pin tacks.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

For light things you can use straight pins pushed in at a 45* angle, these are stronger than you think and only leave a very small hole. For heavier things find a stud or a hollow wall anchor. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
kabucha

The hooks that you are referring to are the 'hercules hooks' and I actually use a couple of those. But they aren't useful for everything.

And just screwing into the studs dont help either for some things, especially when wanting to hang decorative items.

I'm not sure what type of anchors we are using. just the typical drywall anchors. Are the hollow wall anchors any different?

Thanks for the posts! :)
peachlizzard

I too had the same question you did. There is a thread about it here somewhere. They actually showed pics of the anchors to use. They work very well. I have many heavy items hanging from them in my home. Good luck!
CaboWabo

We just bought a box of wall anchors that are two different sizes and are white plastic screws you put into the wall first the put your screw into. They are no drill and work really well. We found them at menards.

These aren't the ones we bought but they are close just to give you an idea.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6212278

I've used them to hang pictures, shelves, and closet racking so far. I haven't had any pull out of the wall and they have been real easy to use.

CaboWabo
It is what it is