hello--batten strips/seams

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kabucha

Hello!

I'm a newcomer to this forum.

We recently (less than a year) purchased our first home, which is a double wide manufactured home, roughly 1400 square feet.

We've done a little paintining..

the living room, we painted over the batten strips. But in a hallway, I removed them, and mudded and taped over the seams. Now it looks not so good. the seams were fairly wide in some spots, and the 2 walls (that would have the batten strips connecting them) were un even. Meaning one wall stuck out a little more than the other wall. So now the seams looks bad.

I'm tempted to cut out the mud and tape and start over...But my question is, would that be the best thing to do, or should I just put the batten strips back up?

I would prefer NOT to have the strips..but I also dont want uneven walls..

Thanks!

Great forum! :)
Yanita

Hi,

Many, many threads on this subject.

I personally advocate not to remove the batten strips, but many here do,some have and been successful. Typically most are not happy with the removal of the batten strips.

Most mobiles if not all come through with wall board panels, not sheetrock. Wall board panels are slightly textured and the paper is manufactured to the wallboard.

More importantly these panels are hung with the idea and purpose that our homes flex during the change of seasons, especially if you live in colder regions. As you have found there are gaps between the panels, some little, some wider, some even etc...

When these battens are removed and filled with another substance visible cracking typically becomes apparent within the first year.

Did you also notice that the wallboard does not have the recessed edges like sheetrock. Sheetrock edges are designed to accept mud/tape. Wall board is not due to the lack of recessed edges.

To fix your problem...hmmm, I assume that removing the existing mud would be a real pain. So, you could spend a little more time sanding them down, or by some decorative battens. I see one home lately that bought beautiful trim molding that have a engraved floral design on it, she stained it and then installed.

I am sure others will come on and give you some ideas.

On a side noteplease remove your link and advertisment to your photography site. Personal advertising is not permitted on the main pages or in member signatures.

I encourage you to create a profile if you have not done so already and you may post your link there. All links are subject to administration approval even if in your personal profile.

Look forward to helping you in the future. Please feel free to contribute to all threads.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kabucha

Thanks for the post!

I was reading on how to edit my profile on some others people's posts, however I could not figure out how to actually get to the place the edit my profile...

Sorry I was no aware there was no personal advertising in your signatures. If you could point me in the right direction to edit my profile/signature I'd be more than happy to take it off.

Thanks! :)
Yanita

Hi,

No problem, I believe that you probably have not received your Welcome letter to the site, which also includes the does and don't.

At the top of the page in the blue task menu you will see an icon that says My Profile Space, click and follow the prompts.

I tried to view your profile so I could remove the information and further check out your website but I could not access your profile. Is it completed yet? I did however remove the signature line from your registration information.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
LovinLife

Have you thought about using a paintable textured wallpaper? That is what we have done in our sons room and it looks great. Otherwise I would say to put the battens back up and just paint over them.
[img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/institches321/daisy%20land/poll.gif[/img]