Compact Fluorescent Lights

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JimCNY

Does any one know if you can use Compact Fluorescent Lights in a ceiling fan? I know the fan I bought came with three bulbs that can withstand the vibrations.
Yanita

Hi,

I have them in mine and they are working fine.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
klm9707

I have them in mine also and are working fine.
Manitoba Bill

Canada is proposing to ban incan. bulbs, but they better think twice about
CFL's.
Esp. after reading these disturbing stories.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55213
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
JD
Site Admin

There has been further investigations on the Brandy Bridges / World News Daily story. I will add links at the bottom of the post. But the gist of it says

Mercury is a dangerous substance and CFLs, broken or not, do need to go to special waste centers. But the amount of mercury in a CFL is about the size of this period . 5 miligrams. Where the old mercury thermometers were 500 miligrams. A single broken CFL does not pose a life threat. But accumulations in land fills is a concern.

Maine's DEP currently does not recommend a hazmat team for a broken cfl bulb. It says to wear gloves, sweep (don't vacuum) all of the glass and put in a sealed plastic container. I also did not see anything that denies that Brandy Bridges was told to use a hazmat team at the cost of $2000. Maybe a DEP employee shooting from the hip, I don't know. Energy Star's CFL FAQ sheet says just about the same thing now.

While these gov agencies are saying the CFLs are safe to use but should be disposed of correctly, I always think about what they will say down the road, the new improved information. But all in all, I think CFLs are good and I use them in my home. The total cost savings to me personally are worthwhile, but the contribution that widespread use of CFLs can make to lessen oil dependency is the main reason I use them.

Here are some links on the subject:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/p ... ercury.pdf
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

I have a feeling that by the time that regulat bulbs are banned, LED lighting will have come down in price and CF's will be outdated. I already have LED lighting in our kitchen as undercabinet lights, more than enough light for any condition other than actual cooking. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
kashton

When it comes to being scared out our lights, it is pretty bad. I had never thought of what I did with my bulbs until recently.

I used to worry about the lights I had for my fish tanks, cause I had allot of the bigger ones developing leukemia. Allot of the lights also provoked the growth of algae, and another shredded cotton like algae in my tanks.

I know that I, myself get headaches from florescent lights. They have changed all the bulbs in the schools here because of student and staff complaints.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Ketta

Greg wrote:I have a feeling that by the time that regulat bulbs are banned, LED lighting will have come down in price and CF's will be outdated. I already have LED lighting in our kitchen as undercabinet lights, more than enough light for any condition other than actual cooking. Greg
Apologies for dredging up a topic from page 2...

Ever since LED's began to be easily available on the market for small things like flashlights, booklights and so forth, I've been eagerly awaiting main lighting for homes. Currently we have CFL's in all our mobile fixtures, and they don't bother my eyes at all...but compared to the improvements LED lighting is sure to have, we'll be switching.

Thankfully in the city I live in now, the recycling services (for weekly pickup with trash, and many areas we can deliver to) pick up many waste products that are volatile in one way or another, and fluorescents is on their long list.
Jaie

I have the smaller ones in my fan. I don't care for them to be honest. They make my head ache. BUT, I do like the energy use. I'm also hoping LEDs get cheaper. I've got about a million places I want them.