skirting/pea gravel

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LovinLife

We have aluminum skirting that I'm guessing is the original color. It doesn't match the rest of our home seeing as it is a faded brown/orange and our new siding is tan w/ white trim and dark brown shutters. So... I am planning on painting it this summer but I'm not sure if white or dark brown would be better. I want to dig a trench under were our skirting is and add pea gravel for frost heaves. And I was thinking if I did that I could paint it white and not have to worry about the mud splash-ups from the rain. But then again I am thinking that a dark brown would help it stay warmer underneath in the winter. Any hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I work 13 hour shifts and my husband works 11 hour shifts so we need a solution that is low maintenance and will still look good.
Yanita

Hi,

I think the color is a matter of personal preference.

As for the pea stone under the skirting many have done that. At my other home I made a 18" wide border around the base of the skirting with the white stone..personally I hated it once it was done. To eliminate weeds from growing up under the rocks (and they will) I laid a couple courses of shingles on the ground then dumped the rocks on top. You can get damaged shingles at a home supply store for cheap money.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!