i have another question this time about high utilities

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

middysmom

we had a house before go to a mobile home and we had a trane air and heat in the house and we had a fire so we to a double wide and it is 32x78 and we have been in it for 3 yrs. and in the winter our energy bill is huge it is running about 500 a month and in the houe it was about half of that the vents are in the ceiling and they are in the middle of the trailer we did not know we could have them changed the dealer did not tell us that if someone can tell me what we can do to improve this it is 2x6 walls and northern insulation please tell me what to do it is so expensive thanks dorothy
Yanita

Hi,

I went to check on your home profile and there is none.

What year is your home, I know you said you have been in it for 3 years but is the home that age or older?

There a re many threads on this if you care to do a search.

not knowing the year of the home really makes it hard to tell you what to look for.

What type of windows are in the home, doors. Do you have alot of windows and are they covered with blinds, reflective coverings or heavy drapes.

What do you keep your temp setting at?

Have you changed the filter recently, they/it needs to be changed at least once every 30 days.

Let me know about your home and there are many things you can look for.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
middysmom

i was wrong it is a 32x80 champion i say one one the lot it was sold so we ordered one but a little bigger we insulated windows and the one place that we can find any wind coming in is the back door wind is horrible the door opens out and we were supposed to have a door that opened in and a storm door but we did not get it the home was brand new and the thermostat is on 78 degrees the same we kept it on in the house we have a child with ceberal palsey and he is cold natured we change the filters about every 2 months i would welcome any one's help in the house we had a big window in the front and the wind came in the window really bad thanks dorothy
Yanita

Hi Dorothy,

You can go to your local hardware store and get a roll of weather stripping for your doors. Not sure what area is leaking air around your windows but you can help that by checking the caulking around the edges of the windows inside and out. Repair as needed.

Understanding you have a child susceptible to cold but any furnace running at 78 is going to be a high utility bill. All filters need to be changed at least once monthly if not twice monthly. Do not forget to vacuum out the furnace closet as well.

As I said in an earlier post close your drapes in the windows that the sun is coming in and keep the ones open that the sun is not coming in. We call this playing the drape game.

There are many threads on ways to save on your heating and cooling bills. Please do a search, the icon is located in the task menu on the main page of the site.

Yanita
middysmom

the windows are air tight for what we paid for this i thought it would better but what i am trying to understand the house was mot air tight what so ever but the mobile home is except for one door i didn't know if a mobile home is different but the summer time is completely different the bills are not that high that is what i am trying to understand and i can alot in the summer time and the store is constanly on and it is hot in the kitchen and the air is going thanks dorothy
Yanita

Hi,,

Not meaning to be rude here but you know longer live in the house so let's stick with the mobile home questions. We really cannot do any fair comparisons between a stick built home and a mobile/manufactured home.

OK, windows are fine. So it is just the door, again go to your local hardware store and get some door weather stripping.

A mobile is different from a stick built, everything from insulation quality and install to windows, doors, heating air conditioning....

My best guess is that the high heat bills are due to you stating you have your heat set at 78*, that is very high by most standards. I will remind you to change your filters more often than once every two months.

I assuming your last sentence was meant to say that you do alot of cooking and the air conditioning is running but it is still hot in the kitchen??? Is this correct? If so do you have good appliances, energy saving models. Typically a high quality stove/oven will keep the heat inside and not exhaust it to the room. While you are cooking are you letting the exhaust fan run continuously and at least a 1/2 hour after cooking is done?

Yanita
middysmom

again you don't have to remind me of the fire but i stated in the last post the UTILITIES IN THE SUMMER ARE NOT AS HIGH AS IN THE WINTER that is what i am getting at why are they high in winter and not in summer thanks
Johnny

check your skirting, and belly rap.
if skirting is not all sealed up cold air will come in.
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
Yanita

Hi,

At no time did I mention a fire??? What I did say was lets stick to MH questions as we can not really compare mobiles to stick builts.

And I did you give you an answer about your high utilities bills in the winter...your thermostat is set at 78*, you only change your filters every 2 months and your door is drafty...I answered all these questions!

On this site all capital letters are considering screaming...this is not acceptable on this site. I try to show everyone respect and expect the same in return.

Thank you,

Yanita
Site Admin/Mod
Lorne

Do you have electric heat in the Trane Unit?
That is way more expensive in the winter, but expensive to change over.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.