Need some help with transforming a door...

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

marriednamobile

I love the look of french doors, and would like to add some to the interior of my house. I found louvered doors (with the little slats) and some bifold french closet doors, can I mount the bifold doors with hinges on both sides instead of the middle so they will both open up?
AND
Can I replace the slats in the louvered door with a pane of lightweight plexiglass to mimic the look of a french door (but without the wooden strips on the glass)?
Please help
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
ms vg

I'm looking at my bi fold doors now....you should be able to side hinge the bi fold doors easily. You will need to remove the middle hinges and fill in holes. I'm not sure if all bi fold come with middle hinge non-mortised or not. Mine are not mortised so filling in screw holes would be easy.

It seems reasonable to remove louvers and replace with plexiglass...BUT everything sounds pretty reasonable to me when it come to making it work! :lol: If you decide to give it a try post a pic when done...ok? I'd be very interested. How are you thinking of doing this? Mounting plexiglass on both sides of door?
Sherri
'93 Clayton DW
marriednamobile

I would love the door to resemble this...
but doubled, I found a plexiglass company that will custom cut panels for you online, and they have a great selection, frosted, etched, clear, etc., I also found a tutorial on how to add a glass panel to a door with these clips (I can't remember what they're called for the life of me) so I'll post some pics when I finish one, thanks for the reply.
flcruising

This seems reasonable enough. I would think you could simply sandwhich the plexi between two pieces of quarter-round or other moulding to hold it into the door opening once you remove the louvers.
Otherwise, you may have to cut a rabbet on one side to create a groove that captures the plexi, then use moulding to hold it in place.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
marriednamobile

good idea!