cowpie pots

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dean3

I saw some show a year or two ago..a farmer came up with the idea to make transplant pots from molded cow manure..Just seed,grow a while,then stick the whole pot right in the ground so the poy breaks down to fertilize..Sounds like a great idea as long as it holds shape till transplant time.

Anybody know of these? Brand? Location? Biz name? Etc?

Dean
Dean3

Hot dang,found an article and thru that,a link!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/nyreg ... colct.html

http://www.liquidfence.com/cowpots.html

Sounds kinda pricey to Me,especially if I could get some "stuff" and mold some myself!! Hate to undercut a good entreprenurial idea but hey,,if it works..

Any thoughts?

Dean
DigitalDreams

Dean seen same thing on mike rowes dirty jobs and there is more to it than just molding manure.
He extracts the urine runs it through a artificial digester to remove the runny stuff and then takes whats left which is the grade of quality compost and uses a patented bonding agent to act as a glue to hold it all together for a specified amount of time, the bonding agent is some organic based chemical maybe elmers glue for all I know.
Dean3

I would avoid all that if I could. Maybe take some fresh manure,put it in between two glasses,one smaller than the other,and let it dry in the sun,,,,simple but who knows how effective!! Maybe cardboard for the inside of the mold,,biodegradable but would aid in drying,,the outer shell of mold could be 16oz plastic glass,slick enough to be re-usable!! maybe that is..:)

Free sounds alot better than $8 for 12 pots plus shipping wich doubles the price.

Actually the Solo brand plastic glass could be left on til transplant time,and with luck,the shi$-pot would slide right out. Never know.

Fresh cowpoo-Solo 16oz glasses-devised cardboard inner liner/mold,,,wala,ones each experiment! LOL.

Dean
JD
Site Admin

All I got are dogs, but what the heck!
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Dean3

JD,I love ya(no,not like that!:),but, *never* use a meat eater's poo for fertilizer,,My studies show that doing that can transfer nasty "bugs" to the plants meant for human consumption. Might be ok for flowers and such tho..

Usual disclaimer lately;; I'm just learning this gardening stuff,,can easilly be wrong.

Dean