I Need Your Opinions (pics)

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Trudi

Since we're always thinking about different wall treatments, I wanted to share one I've recently been trying to learn. It's creating bricks out of joint compound. I tried it in a small bath, behind the tub, and learned (I hope) from my mistakes. If you all don't mind looking at the stages the "bricks" went through, from white to painted, I would like to also show you a pic of my kitchen in my (vacation) mobile home, and get your thoughts on where to use this brick treatment, as I want to try it again. (BTW, this can be done for "stone" also. I know, I have this thing for brick, block, and stone :-)

You'll see the area behind the ladderback bar stool, which goes up and to the left, over the fridge and cabinets. That's one place I was considering the bricks, OR leaving that and "bricking" the area from the countertop up to the cabinets. Everything will be painted, and probably textured, or that's what I'm aiming for, just not saying what year. LOL! The hallway to the right is already textured and primed, and waiting for the paint. I'm comfortable with texturing it, because it won't be moved until it's ready to scrap.
Trudi

Another shot. Ignore dark blob on right wall. Didn't like color, and wiped it off.
Trudi

Now where to put it?
Teatime

That looks really cool! How thick is the compound applied? I'm wondering if it will crack if/when you get the house leveled or if the exterior walls expand or contract? If it doesn't, then I think it would look great on the wall that has your sink, stove, and window.

Julie
Trudi

It goes on 1/4 inch thick, though I'm sure it's more or less in some places. It's a good thing I like the old worn look, for it did crack. It only enhanced the bricks. When I faux paint bricks, I paint cracks on; I didn't have to with this ;-) The mh has been there about 15 years, so hopefully it has settled. If not, I've repaired those rascals before :-)

Almost forgot to thank you for the suggestion. The stove wall, huh. I need to look at that possibility next time I go down there. Hadn't really thought about that wall.
Teatime

I just think it would look more "authentic" on an exterior wall, as opposed to one of the room dividing walls.

Not sure how your kitchen is configured. My stove and sink are on the same exterior wall with a large window above the sink. If I were to try your method, I'd do the brick effect on that wall.

I'm considering it, actually, cuz it would look really cool! I've been redecorating my kitchen and went with white walls, grayish-blue cupboards, shiny black vinyl marble-effect flooring, which all sets off my stainless steel and black appliances BEAUTIFULLY. A wall with faux white bricks "aged" with a light charcoal color would be quite stunning! :)
darlingtallulah

Hi Trudi,

I LOVE the brick work, but how well does it hold up under stress. I'm just thinking about pots, pans, recipe books being pushed up against the wall under the cabinets. Actually, if it would hold up to this, I think it would be great between the counter and cabinets as a backsplash. Would also be great where you mentioned, but how difficult would it be to mitre into the corner where it comes to a <.
Whatever you decide, I think it's great, wish I could do it!

Margie
The older I get, the better I was!
Trudi

Thanks Margie. You asked, "how well does it hold up under stress" well, I was truly stressed and it held up. :lol: Just kidding. Since it's a vacation home, it doesn't get the work out that my regular kitchen gets, so maybe that will help some. That < is something to consider. You could do it. If you decide to try, I'll be glad to pass along my mistakes and what I would do differently next time. Thanks again.
Greg S

Would grease and food splatter be difficult to clean off of this surface?

The finished product appears similar to the thin glue on brick slices.
Is this technique of some advantage over the stick on bricks or different in some way in final appearance (difficult to tell from the pictures)?
Trudi

Hi Greg,
If this were in a full time kitchen, as a back splash, I would put something on it to seal and protect it. The area I've already done is the bathtub wall in a small bath, and the place I'm thinking of doing it, is in the kitchen of a "vacation" home, so it won't have as much to stand up to as a kitchen in daily use.

The only advantage over stick on bricks (for me anyway) is, I don't know how to do the stick ons, and I don't know how costly they are, but joint compound is an inexpensive way to get them. If you would like to see this where it is done well, (mine is a learning experience) check out michaelgravesstudio.com. His work is awesome.
flcruising

Trudi,
I love the look, but I wouldn't do a complex or busy kitchen wall. If you have a living room wall that has more surface area, then I'd suggest that instead. I don't think that 'accent walls' belong in kitchens, but that's my opinion (you did ask for it right?). :)
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Yanita

Hey Trudi,

Great job! I personally love accenting walls with joint compound. Have several of them in my home. Your first pic, shows a little bit of a possible claw foot tub...is that a mobile home?

None of my textured walls are bricked like yours though, although I have incorporated it into my textured walls...clear as mud huh? I used the faux brick paneling mentioned in another post..cut out random shapes adhered to the wall and then spread the compound up to and skim coated over the edges. Feathered it (compound) over some of the brick. Painted and glazed, it look like a very old wall found in a tuscan style home.

I have found that the compound holds up well...to well, you or at least I have to pre drill a small hole before I can drive a nail to hand something. Annnnd once you have done that its a pain should you want to rearrange artwork...

Yes, if your home shifts the comppound can/will crack, but same as Trudi I always add some character by creating water stains, cracks crevices etc...so it woks in my application.

Trudi, as far as incorporating this into a kitchen and can be done and would look real pretty, although I see a different color brick. I think it would look a little to busy over the tops of the cabinets, maybe would work if applied to the lower 3rd of your wall, capped with a chair rail...guess it really depends what your overall decor is going to be.

All in all, thanks for sharing and please feel free to start another with step by step instructions and pics on how you did this. LOL, I will attempt to keep the informational thread devoid of other post.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Trudi

Aaron, yes I did ask, and I thank you for your input. You guys have given me several options and things to think about. :)
Yanita wrote:Hey Trudi,

Great job!

Thanks, Yanita.

I personally love accenting walls with joint compound. Have several of them in my home. Your first pic, shows a little bit of a possible claw foot tub...is that a mobile home?

The tub has a platform bottom, rather than a clawfoot. No, it isn't a mobile home. The LAST picture is of my mobile home's kitchen, where I wanted opinions as to where the brick or stone treatment would look best. I thought others might like to see another wall covering option as well, that could just as easily be done in a mh, if it's settled and not going to be moved
]
None of my textured walls are bricked like yours though, although I have incorporated it into my textured walls...clear as mud huh? I used the faux brick paneling mentioned in another post..cut out random shapes adhered to the wall and then spread the compound up to and skim coated over the edges. Feathered it (compound) over some of the brick. Painted and glazed, it look like a very old wall found in a tuscan style home.

Oh man! PLEASE find a way to post pics of that!!! Tuscan is my favorite, and I would love to see the "exposed brick" you've done.

I have found that the compound holds up well...to well, you or at least I have to pre drill a small hole before I can drive a nail to hand something. Annnnd once you have done that its a pain should you want to rearrange artwork...

Yeah, but it's SOOOO worth it for "Old World." Try rubbing a nail across a bar of soap before driving it in. Sometimes it works.

Yes, if your home shifts the comppound can/will crack, but same as Trudi I always add some character by creating water stains, cracks crevices etc...so it woks in my application.

Trudi, as far as incorporating this into a kitchen and can be done and would look real pretty, although I see a different color brick. I think it would look a little to busy over the tops of the cabinets, maybe would work if applied to the lower 3rd of your wall, capped with a chair rail...guess it really depends what your overall decor is going to be.

I like that idea, but the only full wall in there is the table wall, and is already textured all the way down. I agree about a different color brick as well. I used a light colored brick in this bathroom because the room used to be burgandy, and I promised hubby that I would keep everything light colored this time. :wink: In fact, I'll probably lighten some of those "bricks" anyway.

All in all, thanks for sharing and please feel free to start another with step by step instructions and pics on how you did this. LOL, I will attempt to keep the informational thread devoid of other post.

Yanita
I'll be away for the weekend, but if anyone is interested, I'll be happy to in a few days. Thanks.[/b]
marriednamobile

Trudi this is so cool!
I've always loved the whole downtown-loft-exposed brick look, that my fiance and I contemplated buying sheets of faux brick wall covering for our old apartment, I can't believe you did this with joint compound!
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
Trudi

marriednamobile wrote:Trudi this is so cool!
I've always loved the whole downtown-loft-exposed brick look, that my fiance and I contemplated buying sheets of faux brick wall covering for our old apartment, I can't believe you did this with joint compound!
Thanks! I'm anxious to try again, with what I learned this time. Have to be careful though; much as I love the look of brick, block, and stone, a little of this will go a long way. :)