Paintable wallpaper?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

klm9707

I would like to remove the strips on a wall that has a bold pattern that I cant stand anymore and put up paintable wallpaper. I have read many of the posts on here about painting and even painted a wall in a previous mobile (strips and all). But thought maybe I would do something a little different this time. Has anyone here used this wallpaper before? I am looking a a brand that Lowes sells and was wondering if it will work properly on top of the current vinyl wallboard. Also wondering if I need to fill the seams with mud and tape. Thanks!
Yanita

Hi,

You may need to use a deglosser on the walls. Then paper with an underliner, then proceed with paintable paper. Then paint...alot of steps...

The underliner paper bridges the gaps of larger seams.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
texasprairierose

Hi klm9707,

Before we redid our kitchen, we put up the paintable wallpaper from Lowe's. We removed the strips and filled the gaps with mud and then primed the vinyl wallboard and hung the wallpaper and painted it once it was dry. Then we put a border on top of it. I loved it!! I hated to rip it down when we redid the kitchen but I didn't have a choice.

Here are a couple of pictures of what it looked like.
texasprairierose

klm9707,

Here is a closer view of the paintable wallpaper...you can see the texture in it.Image
Susan

When I purchased my '73 dw about 8 years ago it had really dark, ugly paneling throughout. I used a paintable wallpaper that both HD and Lowes carried at the time. It was the greatest. It took me a while, but I wallpapered every room in my house, including kitchen and both bathrooms. I didn't need to fill any seams, the paper is heavyweight and covers them beautifully. There is no evidence of a seam anywhere. The wallpaper has been up for several years now and still looks great. The paint adheres without a problem and I have changed colors several times. I do prep the walls each time using TSP and rinsing, but otherwise just treat it as any regular wall.

Good luck with your project.
Susan

Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue