Buying a place on the river!

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

xvwowxv

Hello everyone, I finally decided that I didn't want the brand new mobile home and decided to look around. Well, i found a better one for $20k less than that one! And the towns river is right in the backyard! Anyway, being 21 and all I have no idea how to do home improvement lol. I wanted to ask all of you who have experiance some questions if I could:

1. How do you remove wallpaper?
2. What kind of prep do you need to repaint a wall?
3. Any online website where you can buy skirting?

Thanks for the help guys, and fyi, I have just ordered the maintenance book from this site lol.
Yanita

Hi,

Congrats on your purchase!

Ummm, if your home has wallboard then the paper does not remove as a traditional paper does. It is manufactured together, one piece.

For painting purposes, wash well with tsp, rinse well, let dry, prime with bonding primer and then paint with color of your choice. Lots of threads on this one.

Not sure where your home is located, but since you mentioned being near the river make sure you have your flood insurance in place.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

Congrats!

I get my skirting from Lowes of Homedepot.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Hi & Welcome. before you do any skirting work, read " A better skirting idea" in the articals section of the site. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Everything you will ever want to know is available on the Internet.
Google - DIY then sub search and learn to your hearts content.
I have found everything you would ever want to know about, renovation, repairs, decorating etc. on the net.
I also find detailed info can be more thoroughly and quickly be accessed by reading rather than asking specific questions if one is starting from a position of no experience.
DigitalDreams

Just a suggestion check the roof for leaks and you may ask why,well my place the roof leaked and it needed new skirting so I measured the length of panels I would need for doing each side of the DW
and it was 13 feet ,Menard's has good buys on 16 foot pro steel like they use on fancy pole sheds so cut off 3 feet of each panel as added it to roof and wala matching skirting for bottom each side then only had to buy about 3 sheets for ends of house.
When I put it on I insulated with that pink fanfold Styrofoam behind it and what a difference it made for heating and such.
And that prosteel is painted galvanize steel which comes with 25 or 30 year warranty against rust depending on guage or thickness
so I shouldn't need to reroof or skirt till i'm 75.
And the coolest part is it only cost me about twice as much as it cost me 16 years ago to skirt my single wide with actual mobile home steel skirting and looks just as good,so killed two bird with one stone.