6 x 12 greenhouse for starting plants

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Busybee1952

Thought maybe someone here would be interested in seeing the new 6 x 12 greenhouse going up out by the pond. As you can see, the morning light will shine on it right away. Ron is building this from scraps and old windows. The back will have a solid wall painted white to reflect the light and we will use this for starting plants for our garden.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Yanita

Hey Busy Bee,

Glad to see you and this post was right on time...LOL, one of my spring projects...well, one that I created for Hubby anyways. Right now we are waiting for the yard to dry up.

Your design sounds similar to mine, the use of recycling old windows etc...we are going to put several of the windows on hinges so we can push them open and allow for a cross breeze when the temps get warm.

Please post your progression pics..LOL, Hubby will need them!

I called the gas company the other day as they need to find out where my gas line is...If I can hit it with the shovel I will.

Another project is another flower bed near our utility entrance...guess I better get a hold of the electric company and have them mark all the underground as well....

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark
Site Admin

Great start BusyBee. We'll be waiting for further pics as progress happens.

Now here's my greenhouse story. A few years ago my Mom completed her Master Gardener course. She had no greenhouse to start her plants. Late in the fall Menards had their greenhouses on clearance. I believe the size was 4x8. Basically it was a frame with a tarp-like material. It worked for several years until the tarp material started to wear and tear.

This particular greenhouse had a pretty hefty tubular frame (compared to some that are a big joke). So using the frame, my Dad designed a way to put permanent metal & clear siding & such on the house. He also added an old door. The pictures below show the finished product. Turned out pretty good I think. My Mom is happy.

Mark

You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Very nice also....

How do they vent it? Hubby is gonna have some work involved as I am looking to have running water as well. I want not only a greenhouse but a potting shed as well.

Yanita
Busybee1952

Thanks Yanita and I will be looking forward to seeing the pictures of your progress as well. Ron is planning on having a window that opens at the top on one end and one that opens on the bottom on the other end for ventilation. He is also planning on it being boards rather than glass from the bottom to a height of about 4' so that the glass doesn't get broken when the lawnmower goes by. Since the roof will be glass, it will still get plenty of light.

As for water, you can see the small pond in the background in the one picture. The soil here is almost pure sand so the water does not remain in the pond year round. About the end of August, it dries up and all of my frog friends disappear. Ron is going to build a savonius rotar to pump water so the pond will be full all year. It will be on a raised tower and consist of barrels cut in half lenghwise. It works on the same principle as a windmill with no electricity needed. It will also provide an easy source of water for the greenhouse.

Mark, I like your mom's greenhouse. Your dad did a great job of making it look professional and I'm sure your mom is pleased.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Yanita

Hmmm, thanks for your last post...with my current recycling stash my greenhouse would of been glass to the bottom, to maximize all shelves getting light...now a definite plan change...LOL, never considered the lawn mower.

LOL, Granddaughters have had their input as well...seems they want their own space in there and Hubby has informed me that all my gardening supplies and lawn rakes, hoes etc are to be housed in "my space". I had not planned on all these extras so I am kind of back to square one on size and utilizing space. seems what was once going to be 6x12 is slowing growing into something more like 12x14 and at least one solid wall...

I was sitting on the back deck last night envisioning this green house when a small branch let go from a loblolly pine...guess where it landed...on the future new glass roof of the green house, another thing to plan for and again, altering my visual plan of the appearance!

Oh well, keep posting your pics and thoughts and I shall follow along!

Yanita
Busybee1952

Yanita, I think you may need a 28 x 40 greenhouse! LOL Here are some progress photos. Tomorrow, we will paint what is done so far. We wish the boards didn't have to go quite so high in the front but unfortunately, we don't have the right sized windows in the stash. Ron says he can cut it down later if we run across some more windows and still thinks it will get enough light since the roof is all glass. There are no trees close enough to drop branches on it so unless we are having a tornado, I think the glass roof will be fine. Besides, what he is using is the tempered stuff from some patio doors. He's removing the frames but that glass is SUPER HEAVY! I'll keep posting the photos of our progress.
Busybee1952

Oh, and here's a link for another greenhouse that was built for less than $50.00! It looks good to me.
http://www.primalmommy.com/greenhouse.html
Yanita

Hi,

Looking good. Hmmm, we have several of those slider doors available to us for free...good thought for the roof. I think the ones available to us are also tinted...

LOL, nope can't have my own space that big although I would like to!
Where I want this built that size would not fit!

Hubby is out as I type retro fitting some of the catch basins we installed to redirect some water accumulation under the carport, I noticed he has also dug heading towards the green house. guess he is going to pie for that as well.

Well out roaming the property this AM, we came across a bunch of half buried brick down near the ditch..not really our property but we can have it! We also acquired a farmhouse still sink, the steel enameled type that has the long drain boards on either side. So, redesigning again...

Keep posting the pics, I love everyone!

Yanita
Busybee1952

Yeah, we did cut the front down and now have to find more windows but it was just too tall. I think it will take at least another gallon and maybe 2 of paint.
Yanita

Hi Sue,

Wow, you really got busy this weekend, sure wished I could say the same. Been a little to irritable so staying away from people. Trying to quit smoking!

Yours is looking great and I am sooo envious. We are still needing to let our entire yard dry out from excessive spring rains. There is no way mine will be built in time to use this year.

I guess my greenhouse is taking its overall appearance as more cottage looking. Blends with our exterior landscaping better. It will also be multi functional, not by my choice though.

I have a good size inventory so today for giggles I drew up some "not to" scale plans...it appears that it will be at least 12 maybe 15 feet long and 7 or 8 foot wide. I have a good inventory of glass. These are some of the pieces I would like to use, but this is not the entire inventory.

2 sets dual paned tempered tinted glass sliding doors
4 36"x7' dual paned tempered panels
2 2'x7' dual paned tempered panels
2 4'x7' dual paned tempered panels
8 6 light wooden cased windows
a choice of 4 exterior doors..I think the one I will use has either 6 or 9 light glass in top 1/2.

I am thinking that this door will be cut in 1/2 width wise so that the bottom can be closed and the top opened. I believe the sliders are going to be used as the side walls so that can be operational to allow for some venting when needed. 4'x7' panels will be installed skylight style in the roof. The 2 2'x7' panels will be installed one on either side of the front door. The regular windows thus far I have use for 4 of them, 2 each mounted one above the other on either side of the long panels beside the door.

Not sure what framing materials will cost but due to the weight we will definitely have to beef up the framing. My over all shape of the building will be just as yours is. If things do not get really spendy I am in hope of cedar shaking in between all the glass...

We still have several smaller projects to complete and a few to start before this greenhouse cottage starts to evolve. Today I bought landscape fabric, 9 new rose bushes and several other things..oops better get that new garden area happening.

Alot will be happening soon as the weather breaks, still need to get the water garden cleaned and ready to go...LOL, forgot to tell Hubby there is a slight design change to that this year....still need to open the pool and the list goes on.

Anyways thanks for the updated pics and am looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Yanita
Mark
Site Admin

My Mom was reading these threads and she wishes her greenhouse was bigger. Either that get my Dad to add onto the garage!

My Mom said that that vents were added to the greenhouse. One on each end. The pictures I posted were taken before the vents were added.

Meanwhile I'm thinking of adding another little shed out back of my house. Something to put the snowblower in. Right now I'm looking at one of those rubbermaid sheds. I think they are 5x8 or so?? Menards had one in stock, but didn't have one put together. I'd really like to see one put together before I buy it. My other shed it took me a whole summer to build (and it's dang nice), but this one I want up quick as a rabbit.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hey Mark,

Yup, building a greenhouse is alot like a water feature, buiild it bigger than needed, your going to wish you did sooner than latter.

Your Mom's is fine but I know way to small for my needs and those of the granddaughters. Wished it was, construction looks much easier than mine is going to be.

Yanita
Yanita

Hey Busybee...

Any updates on the greenhouse? Looking forward to the completed project or at least if not finished an update.

Have not even started mine yet, as I said it might not happen this spring.

Yanita
DigitalDreams

One suggestion to all you greenhouse users:
Instead of using bricks for standing your shelves on use 5 gallon plastic buckets painted black or just find black buckets , fill them with water and rv antifreeze , and place them on north wall if you can , they will collect heat during day and radiate it back at night which will help keep greenhouse warmer longer.