$16 doller mobile home door fix up

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Willc

As many of you know I have hard time choosing a doortype for our rustic cabin style renovation
At the last posting (see archives) I had selected a handmade tounge and grove barn style door.
The problem was that these doors where pushing 80 pounds (way too heavy for 2x3 walls. So we are putting the regular M/H doors back up with a few changes

Starting over remodel junkie
Willc

hinges and hardware will be black justy have not put them on yet
Yanita

Hi Will,

Great to have you back! :lol:

Thanks for the update and what a creative way to get the look you want!

When we "voted" on your door style I never gave weight a thought. But yeah, that was way to much weight! Did you laminate the existing doors with the pine or did you build new doors?

Looks great, and that's an idea to keep for the books!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Willc

They are laminated M/H doors with 1/4 " t and g pine frome lowes cost of 16 bucks to do a front with plenty of extra. the full doors will be 24
Willc

Keep looking for my post I am about to go for the finish run of the
2 year no surface untouched total home renovation.
if you don't know who I am we started with a 93 doublewide
filled all seams ,ceiling paint and rosette removal, heart pine floors in all rooms except kitchen and baths which are tile, new maple cabinets thru out, stone fireplace and hearth with 10x10 pine mantel, recess cans and under cabinet lighting, all wood trim and maybye a few extra i am forgetting about!
Maureen

Hey Will,

Fantastic idea about the pine tongue and groove! I've got the same type of doors, but don't want to replace them with stock doors from the home stores. We're trying to go for that rustic country look, not cabin feel, but I want some wood.

My only problem, is that I have 3 doors that don't have room for large enough trim to even handle that 1/4 inch reface. It's where walls butt up to corners and it's like an inch to work with with trim. Works well with the seam trim in mobiles, but little else. But, your project does gives me hope! There has to be a way to trim these areas out with out looking bad.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Willc

The trim i am running is standard 2 3/8 door casing just stain grade
when you pull your doors out you can pull out the 1/2 trim from both sides and stack to one side and you can cheat another 1/2 inch and if the trim will dive into the wall rip it down
klm9707

That looks so nice! Sure wish I could come up with some unique ideas of my own. Great job!