Help: There's got to be an easier way

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Cleo

I've finally decided to start painting the paneling in our 79 single wide. The fellow at the paint store told me I should paint out the grooves first (with a primer) and then go over everything using a roller to apply the primer. I thought simple enough, except I've spent from 8 this morning to 8 now using a brush to apply the primer to the grooves and I'm still not finished. Our mobile is under 1000 sq. ft. and I'm not even doing the bathroom or 2 bedrooms. I've done lots of painting in my day, but this is ridiculous. I'm sorry I ever started. Quite surely there's an easier way. Anyone, ideas?
Yanita

Hi,

I have a 74 double wide with all that dark brown paneling...not sure why you have to paint the grooves first. I cleaned the walls with tsp, rinsed, let dry completely and used kilz primer in some areas and a bonding primer in others. Rolled on the latex interior of my choice to every room but one!

Painting is a process, and trying to cut corners will result in unfavorable results... take your time, settle in and LOL, resolve yourself to the process. Once you are done you will enjoy the appearance change!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Denise

Have you tried using a small roller that has the "V" shape? as you roll it. Some times I think it's called a "corner roller" I see more in the foam then the nap kind. Just a suggestion http://cgi.ebay.com/R040-Wooster-Corner ... 0007r17821
Cleo

Fabulous. Thank you both for your replies.
Katie

When I painted my paneling I just took the same brush I cut in around the ceiling with and brushed in the deeper grooves.... or use a thicker nap roller.... yes, sometimes the roller misses the grooves and you have to go back with a brush afterwards which is a pain..... have fun and laugh while you do it. Play loud music and sing. It makes it fun and burns more calories as you work!
It's only money, Right?