Rain Gutters and Land Grade

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Sally

Has anyone ever installed the "mobile home" type rain gutters? (The soffit on my roof is so small I don't know that I could use any other kind.) My MH is in the lowest-lying area of this small housing area, anyway, so I always get Lake Erie just outside the side door any time it rains hard. The slope of the yard goes "down" towards the house on all four sides, and I am concerned about standing water at the bottom of the skirt which could potentially set up a mold problem underneath the trailer. I'd like to try to re-direct water coming off the roof with the gutters, if I can. - - For that matter, has anyone else raised the ground level around their skirting 6 to 8 inches, and graded it away from the house? I wonder if the weight of all that compacted soil would bow the siding panels in. Thanks in advance for the replies!
Sally
"No good deed goes unpunished"
Yanita

It's not so much the gutters as you need to have down spouts installed. These are the pieces that follow down the side of the home and direct the water away from the home.

Hopefully your gutters are in good shape. What type do you have there now, how much of an overhang do you have and what type roof do you have?

Personally I would not pile dirt up onto my skirting. Instead I think I would invest in installing french drains or possible catch basins if the water is that bad. There are many post on these if you care to do a search for them.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

You should be able to use a standard size gutter. If you have the small rolled mobile home gutters you can slip the full size gutter under the smaller one. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
tnt17

Don't forget the drip edges. Lowes sells the 'Geneva drip edges' and H.Depot sells another type, usually in the flashing/roofing area.
The drip edge extends off the edge of the shingle so the water drips into your gutter, and not in between the gutter and the soffice/gable area.
It's $4.00 per 10' section or so, and well worth the $$!
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
Harry

Hi

You said "My MH is in the lowest-lying area of this small housing area, anyway, so I always get Lake Erie just outside the side door any time it rains hard. The slope of the yard goes "down" towards the house on all four sides".

You have a bad problem on your hands.

Building a berm around the MH is not a good idea as this will create a mud puddle under the MH.

Rain barrels, french drains, ponds, dry creek beds, cesspools may help some .... as long as it does not rain hard.

I've lived in Georgia and am familiar with storm water runoff problems. Can you move the MH...properly grade the property....and reinstall it? If not ... I would consider selling the MH.

JMHO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?