More kitchen pics

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Sally

Well, maybe it isn't too late to teach an old dog new tricks, after all! :D I worked part time for Lowe's for about a year and a half (not in the flooring department, however) and was told by several of their salespeople that laminate was an excellent choice for those who dislike carpet (me) and cannot afford hardwood floors (also me). I was also told it was better for pets and children since it is very easy to keep clean (carpet and pad retain an unbelievable amount of filth), does not hold allergens like carpet does, do the air quality is the home is better, and because it is a wood/plastic hybrid, it doesn't suffer damage from sharp dog toenails the way hardwoods do. At no time was the issue of a slippery surface even discussed!, and until these recent posts, I had been planning to eventually lay laminate from the front door to the back. I detest carpet for the reasons I've just listed, and of course hardwood floors would likewise be slippery PLUS they cost a fortune. I guess I can go take a look at some of the vinyls, but I don't understand how a vinyl floor would be less slippery than a laminate! Anyway, thanks to all for opening my eyes to this potential problem. I'm 57 and in excellent health, but I have no particular desire to practice an ice skating routine while crossing the dining room.
Sally
"No good deed goes unpunished"
Greg S

Laminate has a extremely hard and smooth surface which is why it stands up so well under normal use. Vinyl on the other hand is a softer rougher surface with some give to it which is why it is less slippery.
It would be similar to the difference between your finger nail and the adjacent skin.
Sally

For those who really like laminate - - I may have discoverd a solution to the slip and fall problem. A friend of mine who owns a dance studio uses a product called "Slip Nomor" on her floors. The floors are hardwood, not laminate, but she suggested I contact the manufacturer to ask if it would work on a laminate surface. I have done so by email and am awaiting a reply, but of course I would have to conduct my OWN experiment first (never trust a salesperson!). I'll probably order a sample of a laminate I like, treat it with this Slip Nomor product, and see what happens. It is supposed to dramatically reduce the slickness of a surface and leaves a beautiful finish. (I've seen photos on the product website where it has also been used on stone, tile and concrete, with beautiful results.) After I get a reply and complete my experiment, I'll report back.

I just can't handle the idea of putting a linoleum (or vinyl, whatever) floor down in my home. "To each his own," but that isn't even a option for me. I've had too many bad experiences with sheet vinyl. Eeewwwwwww.

Will keep you guys posted!, and thanks to all for bringing this to everyone's attention.
Sally
"No good deed goes unpunished"