Flooring

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bmerri

I was wondering if anybody has ever used Designer's Image flooring. They are square stick down tile with rounded edges? My mom put it over her old floor in her house and it looks great. So far not one problem. I went and bought some but didn't get quite enough. I got it at Menard's. I haven't started yet. Just wandered if anyone has tried it and had any problems with it.
Arlo

I did a Google search on it and found a discussion on a forum called gardenweb. Several people there liked it. The only problems people had was when they tried to grout the seams which is optional. It sounds fine! If you do grout it, clean the excess grout as you work. If you let the excess dry, you have a mess. They also mentioned that Menard's has a floor adhesive primer you can use over plywood.
bmerri

Thanks so much Arlo. I'm just going to clean my floor really good (it's lanoleum) and stick the tile down over it. I'm really nearvous about doing it and the thought of taking up that small trim around the floor without breaking it and what to do when I come to the next room because it all hooks together. I would really like to put regular base trim down. Does anybody have any suggestions on that .
Thanks again for the help.
Greg

I have never heard of this type of tile, but if it is a ceramic type tile I would stay away from it in a mobile home. these homes are designed to flex and move with the weather, tiles don't.

There are many threads on flooring, Personally I like a good laminate. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

I am not familiar with that tile either...

But in regards to regular base mouldings, certainly you can install them. Hopefully you have a good compound miter saw with a new blade. Other than the halls there seem to be very few long runs!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bmerri

This tile is just flexable squares.They are alot heavier than regular stick downs. You can still cut it with scissors or carpenters knife. The edges are more rounded off than just straight cut. I'll send some pics. when I start. My mom's floors is not completely level and it really looks good. My brother installed it for her and then my mom done a pantry and a bathroom herself. Looks really good. She said when you stick them down their not coming back up. She put it right over her old floor. As far as the base trim I was worried about the piece that runs from the kitchen into the living room. I'm not plannig on doing all the base trim at once. Just can't afford it right now. How would I do that , Just cut it off where it runs into the living room for now?