Junipers, landscaping plants

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

If I wanted to plant some junipers around my singlewide or at least on one side of it, how far away should I plant them so that it would not interfere with getting under the trailer? I've heard that sometimes tree roots can also break up cement and my cement slab extends about a foot beyond the edge of the skirting. I don't think Junipers would have great big roots though.

Also, I am thinking of planting some grape vines and making sort of an arbor that would connect to the front of my trailer and extend over the cement patio area. Any ideas on how I could connect some kind of Arbor easily and without damaging anything? I will post a picture of the patio area in my photo album on this site so you can see what I'm thinking of. In the picture, you will see a large planter which had bird house gourds planted in it last year. Thanks for ideas!
Yanita

Hi BusyBee,

There are about 60 species of conifers, ranging from very tall trees to shrubs. So to answer your question I would need to know which specie you get. If you got something in the line of shrubs or dwarfs you will be fine. IMO, they are not much different than planting boxwood's around your home.

Are you going to let them grow into a natural form or are your plans to prune them into a hedge? If natural keep them about 5' away from the home, this way they will not touch the home. If you plan on pruning them you can get them as close as 3'.

We have a hedge of boxwood's that grow in the front of the home and wrap around one side, ours are about 42" tall and 3' plus in width, I have to prune these about every other week. This keeps them off the side of the home, allows plenty of ventilation to the vents behind them. These are very well established bushes. We have been under our home repeatedly and we checked the underpinning (Brick) for any signs of mold, mildew, moisture retention,and root damage, so far everything is fine.

Sorry I did not look at your pics as of yet. But the one thing I do caution with grape vines, same with wisteria is they put a strangle hold on all they grab on to.

We built a pergola over one end of our deck, I too wanted grape vines to offer shade. Well since then I met our neighbors and they have something similar...no grapevines here that I plan to sit under LOL.

First off, once the grapes are mature, ants are every where, birds, and there mess, not to mention an enormous amount of grapes that fall to the ground and make another big mess. Pretty yes, but just not worth the hassle to me, you may have your own opinion and that is fine also. :D

At the moment we have planted wisteria and I just recently planted climbing roses to the pergola, we will see how that goes.

As for connecting anything to your home I do not recommend that. Although the arbor would be light weight enough structures have a tendency to shift with the seasons, this would cause damage to the exterior of your home. Also any vines would need to be watched carefully so they do not grow into the seams of siding. Trust me they will, it has happened to me, LOL.

Not sure what size arbor you want, but they can be constructed pretty easily with dek block, 4x4 post and if you wish lattice trimming the sides or top. On a side note on our pergola we put lattice on the top and then strung Christmas icicle lights up there and pulled some down thru the lattice. Looks real pretty at night.

Hopefully this helped!

Have a great day,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
busybee1952

Wow, Yanita, you sure gave me a lot to think about. I hadn't considered the ant and bird problem for one on the grapevines. Sheesh, I might have to go back to the drawing board. I hope you will get a chance to look at the picture I posted of my little patio area. Granted, I have many huge oak shade trees but the patio area still gets overly sunny for sitting out there after working in the garden all day. Maybe you would have some other ideas for me. Anyone? Thanks.
Yanita

Hi,

Just checked out your pics...you have a great concrete slab to start your project with! :D

IMO, I would keep the arbor at least 2 feet away from the front of your home. (where the swing currently is.) My reason for keeping the arbor away from the home is to keep the vines from growing into the home, and it will also allow you a small area to get thru to keep them pruned.

To be honest with you I am not really sure what type of vines grow well in your area. I suggest you check with your local nurseries, they always sell what works in your areas. If Jasmines grow well in your area that is a good one. Grows real fast in a short amount of time, BUT, it can get away from you if you do not keep an eye on it. Ivies do well in those areas as well.

Another decorating thought for that area is...once your arbor, pergola is up you can paint the concrete. We have a structure between our home and pool deck, previous owners parked there boat there. It has a metal roof. Once all the other projects are done a couple of my decorating ideas are to paint the concrete one solid color then go back and paint a rug design.

LOL, my granddaughters want to take cat paw print stamps and put them everywhere...I might let them have there way. I also have several of those canvas painters drop clothes (new). Have considered sewing a straight seam across the tops and hanging them in the corners of the structure so I can pull them closed for privacy after being in the pool, or just evening when Hubby and I are out there grilling. Same as you lots of plans, ideas, and not as much time!

Again, hope I have helped.

~Yanita~
Maureen

Hello,

I'd suggest that you go for the dwarf varieties of junipers and evergreens close to your house. I live in wild fire country, and just found out over the last few years how flammable all evergreens are. The sap acts just like oil if a fire is near. Thank goodness I just have a few conifers in the landscape. All but the blue spruce out in the back are drawf varieties. We also have a bristle cone pine out back, which is native to Nevada. As a matter of fact, these trees go back over 4.000 years! I just let it do it's thing. It's been in that area longer than I've been on earth. It's one of the more beautiful in the neighborhood.

But, they are all fire fuel in my area. Right next to our homes in this area, that's something to think about!.

I see that you're a vegetarian. Since I live in an area where everything is brown in the Winter anyway, I've planted my veggie gardens next to the home! We don't plant a huge garden every year, just enough to give some fresh veggies during the Summer, and enough to take care of our German Shepard that loves to eat ripe tomatoes! I also plant some perennials and annuals in between them. We've got a third acre of land, just not the time to take care of much these days! This year, I'm going to plant Rocky, the dog, his own little tomato patch. Maybe he'll leave ours alone! Hey he knows when they're ripe and ready to eat LOL! I'll have to fence in our tomatoes, but that's the price you pay for fur friends that like fresh veggies.......

We've got a double wide. The largest root system next to the home is two small evergreens out front. Like Yanita, these are kept trimmed and in check. Other than that, we have roses, a few hostas, glads, yarrow and iris. All things that are easily kept in check. Ohhh, forgot the daylilies also!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Sylvia

A good choice for the arbor plants might be morning glories. At least for the first season to see if you like the arbor where it is. Since you're in Michigan they'd be an annual and you can get the look of an arbor in bloom but not be tied to the plant.

We had yews all around our home when we moved here. They did cover the skirting nicely and looked good year round. They didn't get as unwieldy as the junipers I've seen. We removed them when we put in the basement and I don't really miss them. I'm very, very allergic to evergreens. :roll:
busybee1952

Yanita and Maureen, thank you for your input and ideas. There are so many possibilities and so little money and time!

I've never met a dog who actually liked tomatoes! My little dog likes a lot of the vegetarian things I eat but certainly not tomatoes! My garden is about 50 x 50, enclosed with 6' high wire to keep out the deer and wild turkeys who frequent my yard. There is a small pond here which draws the deer, racoons, opossum, turkeys, rabbits, and who knows what else. I wouldn't get one single thing from the garden if it weren't totally enclosed and although I don't mind sharing with the wildlife, I need to eat too! My little rat terrier/pekenese is scared of bunnies so she's not much help in guarding the garden. She does like to help me plant though and digs a lot of the planting holes. Hahaha
busybee1952

Sylvia, you're right, morning glories would look good on an arbor if I can figure out how to make one! There's a big home made planter at the one end of the cement and I put some posts behind it and one on top and then macromaed? binder twine over the whole thing and grew bird house gourds on it. It was a great shade screen and the leaves are huge and beautiful from the bird house gourds. I had a few morning glories interplanted with them which provided extra color. Well, it was the screen that gave me the idea of building an arbor from the planter to the trailer and now I just need to figure out how to accomplish that. So far, everything I've read says to plant treated posts in cement. The cement is already there so I'm not sure how I would attach posts to it that would be stable enough to withstand the occasional high winds and falling tree limbs. You can check out the patio pictures under my profile to see what I mean.
Yanita

Good morning BusyBee,

What size arbor do you want? Do you want to cover the entire existing concrete slab, and if so what size is that?

Since you have high winds occasionally you would have to make sure that the support post are secured to the concrete slab. You could do this easily enough by making a form and mixing some quick cement in the form and then set your post in. You can buy quick cement in small enough bags to handle. You can make forms with either 2x6 or 2x10 boards put together in a square.

While the concrete is wet set your post in...make sure to preattach a piece of 2x4 or other length of wood about center of the post, leave it loose enough that it can move a little. This piece is so that once you put a level against the post to check for plumb, you can set the 2x4 into the dirt to keep the post straight while the concrete cures.

Pressure treated 4x4 can add up price wise real quickly, another viable option is landscape timbers. They are flat on 2 sides and rounded on the other 2. Much cheaper. Like I said leave us some dimension sizes and I will see if I can round up a couple of friends here to help with your construction. LOL, I can "see" what you want to do and I know how to do it, I am just lousy with building instructions.

Although morning glories are very pretty, as with other annual vines like moon flower and sweet peas, these have a tendency to get real leggy, in other words I really do not see them as being very good shade vines. Would make a nice burst of color if added with a more substantial vine.

~Yanita~
busybee1952

I finally got a chance to measure the area where I would like to put an arbor and it is 16 x 20 which is bigger than I thought. I may have to put this project on hold until I finish the plumbing and underbelly repair. Thanks for all the ideas and help though.
Yanita

Hi,

That's a fairly substantial area.

Let us know when you are ready and we will help!

Yanita