Interior shutters as window treatments

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

chablis

Hi, all,

The work continues, and with the approach of new windows next weekend, the question is new window treatments.

I am considering interior faux wood shutters, and wonder if anyone here has them. How happy are you with them?
Chablis
Yanita

Hi,

Congrats on the new windows, they will pay for themselves in short time.

Interior faux shutters. Are you meaning you will have one shutter panel hung on either side of the window in a fixed position. Not shutters that will actually open up and close over the windows?

Either or looks great in my opinion, but I decorate in country cottage style. Mine are painted white and then distressed. Actually mine are not hung on the vertical on either side of the window.

I took one long shutter and installed them over the window length wise. Once secured to the studs I can now have a very long heavy iron rod with heavy drapes and not have the rods pull from the wall. Also looks great for the country cottage decor.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
chablis

Oops, meant to say the faux wood shutters, they are made of some sort of plastic. I was planning to use them to cover the windows for light and privacy, and be able to open them and close them, not just hang them outside the window frames (the way exterior decorative shutters are.)
Chablis
Yanita

Hi,

They should work fine, but if you are using what I think you are please note that these type shutters the louvers do not adjust to allow for variances in light.

I am assuming that you are only doing one window, in other words not 2 standard windows that are close together. I have never seen plastic shutters that are on hinges to open and close, just screwed to the wall in a fixed position. Not to say that there is not some that do what you want. I guess you could add hinges if needed.

I personally do not care for the plastic but that is just me. I would think that you could spray paint them to match your interior colors. Krylon makes a great spray paint for plastic. Make sure to follow the directions on the can if you go this route.

Yanita
Yanita

Hi,

On second thought as I was looking at my own windows envisioning this ...when the shutters are opened you would see the finished front side of the shutter...when closed over the window you would see the back ugly side of the shutter.....

Yanita
Yanita

LOL, I got your PM, since I generally repurpose itmes I was thinking of something different yet the same. Good luck and let us know what you finally did!

Yanita