Roof decks

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jaie

I've heard pros and cons for these, and I've talked to my fellow construction buddies who have never seen one in this area and have no clue what I mean. Has anyone here put on an upper deck? Above the roof? If you have do you have pictures? Pros? Cons? I'd like something I can show, to give an idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks for the help.
Greg

Now since I know the area that you live, you must have seen the pole barn style roofovers. you could work off of this style and incorporate a deck also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Thats exactly how they are done near the beach areas here. 8x8 poles then built like a deck over the top of the home.

While your here Jaie, might want to make sure your son uses caution while on the roof regularly using his telescope. Some of these roofs only have 2"x2" trusses.

Take care,

~Yanita~

PS...I think Mark has some pics in the album of Florida homes that might have these decks over the roof.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jaie

Yanita wrote:Hi,
While your here Jaie, might want to make sure your son uses caution while on the roof regularly using his telescope. Some of these roofs only have 2"x2" trusses.

Take care,

~Yanita~
A fellow carpenter buddy actually did something up there so he can be there. It's just a basic platform at the moment, but it's one of the reasons we want to expand. What is up there at the moment can just be pushed off the roof. It doesn't even stay there in winter.
Jaie

Greg wrote:Now since I know the area that you live, you must have seen the pole barn style roofovers. you could work off of this style and incorporate a deck also. Greg
I'm guessing that's what they are anyhow. I've seen one, where half the roof had been turned into a pitched roof, then the other half was on posts and it sat maybe 12" above the roof. I'm curious about water damage, how to protect this sort of thing, etc.

The other, was set above the entire roof, and was really large, with seating and all sorts of neat build ins. This one sat on what I can only describe as poles set about 6' apart. It was about the same width maybe a hair narrower than the trailer itself. This roof deck was pretty snazzy in fact, and if I can get back up to Parish, I'll take some snaps of it. I remember upon seeing it, screeching for the car to stop and startling the people who owned it when I asked to see and explore the deck area.

On both, the stairs were in the back and at the end of the trailers.
Greg

The type that I am thinking of is a Pole barn with no sides built over the home. That way the second roof will support any snow load, deflect rain and give you shade in the summer. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jaie

Greg wrote:The type that I am thinking of is a Pole barn with no sides built over the home. That way the second roof will support any snow load, deflect rain and give you shade in the summer. Greg
Is that the one with the overhang off the main roof? I've only seen one of those. I think any would be sharp and very handy. But I'll admit, I'm curious about what is underneath. The original roof? A dummy roof?