Trailerwrap project - cool remodel

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NMarie

Hello, Has anyone checked out the Trailerwrap project website, http://www.trailerwrap.net This is a really neat (cool) remodel of a single wide trailer. Very modern (or mid-century modern) look.

I was kind of disappointed in the project since they demolished the complete trailer down to the central I-beams, and rebuilt from the bottom up. Still the out side look is really something.

I am wondering if anyone thinks this project could be adapted to a single wide without the complete demo. Say, like installing a metal frame work around the outer base of the trailer supported with concrete piers, and with metal studs on the outside extending up to tie into a new roof similar to the one on the website. This way use of the trailer could continue until the project called for removing the old roof and installing the new one.

I'm thinking a architect would need to design it like the students did in the original project.

Any thoughts or comments. :?
flcruising

Great idea, but definitely a poor application. The 'reuse' part of the system was completely ignored. They might as well have built a custom 'trailer' from a shipping container in their mockup factory and trucked it to the site. THAT would have been a much more practical application of sustainable living. Very disappointing.

That being said. You could definitely built a roof-over like you described out of a metal structure. But you mention metal studs too, so are you meaning build new walls around the perimeter of a trailer?

A roof-over would not be tied into the existing house frame, so the affordability of it makes it more practical than a complete home built around and tied to an existing trailer.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Appleville

Even though it's more than a remodel, it's gorgeous. If more mobile home builders would look to this type of structure, I think more people would be interested in living in this sustainable way.

Thanks for the link!
Nan
Yanita

Although creative it is not my style at all. I would think for the time and money one might be better off building a small house. I did enjoy the link though. Should you come across others please let us know.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
mobtek

Cool... or just plain DUMB?

That's about as useful as a racing stripe on a Rambler...
1989 Fuqua SW
mokehillannie

Butt U G L Y!!

What a waste. I bet they could have built a very nice 3 bedroom house for what they spent on that sterile box. It has all the character of an operating room.

It is interesting, though.
JD
Site Admin

I do like the concept of the design and the intent of affordable housing and reuse/recycle of materials. Even with the design, it still looks a little small for a home, 12x47 with the deck included in the measurement. I also did not see a bathroom, but I am sure one is there somewhere. I could see this taking on a Japanese look, complete with garden, etc..

The materials were mostly intercepted from the landfills, reusing solid core doors and lumber. There was used materials as well as fabrication shop waste material. They said they had a total out of pocket cost of $36K. This was possible because it was a joint civic and university project, which made collection of the materials easier. I don't know if you and I could get the same access to enough quality used materials. Especially true if this turned into a popular trend. The market for trash would surely soar. Still, it is good for the environment reusing resources like that.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi,

JD you are correct, things like old screen doors, architectural elements, old ginger bread from porches, reclaimed lumber etc are all very pricey items as of late. This has become a popular decorating choice for the past few years...which with all things has increased the cost.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!