that lovely wallboard

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Popsicle_toes

Was working on taking off the ugly wallpaper the former owner had half done in the living room (and yes, all the battens were already gone), when i realized the vinyl covering was loose and started coming off as well, leaving a rough cardboardy surface. OK, the paint I was planning on is now off, because there are also big blobs where he "patched" the wall with drywall compound, etc. I only have to go from chair rail up, haven't found wallpaper that I like in budget, so the options I see are: texture paint (Don't think I'd like it seems like it would be hard to wipe down when the grand kids have messy hands on the walls) wallpaper I don't like but is cheap, liner paper, then paint which would put a serious dent in the decorating budget, or the brown paper bag leather look done with wallpaper paste (leaning in that direction since leather was the faux thought in the first place)
Any other suggestions? Other than tearing out the walls!
Doni
proud owner of doni's dump!
Yanita

Hi,

There are several threads in this forum of various wall treatments. One of the easiest and cheap ways is the textured wall application. Simply trowel on joint compound and spread around in a pattern that you like, or no pattern at all. Once dried, prime and paint.

Make sure to keep it as thin as possible. Also best if you let it dry on its own, if you set a fan in front of it, it will crack. Or at least mine did.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

Sounds like the batten robbers have struck again.

If you want to give texturing a try go to Chapter 6 of Mark's Manual.

It talks about using a texturing roller and a knockdown tool for a really neat look. Also tips like using "Red Devil's Vinyl Spackling Compound" in the cracks.

Good Luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
CPA

You can always texture the walls using the drywall compound technique I used throughout out entire home. It is very easy to do, looks great and hides just about any blemish.

You can go to my web site (tastyvenison.com) and click on the Rancho Pequeno link at the bottom, then the In Process page 2 link for an instructional video or you can follow this link directly:

www.tastyvenison.com/in_process1.htm

Jeff
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
Susan

Jeff,

The video was terrific - thank you for sharing! What type of brush did you use (and where can I get it)?
Susan

Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
CPA

I really don't know the proper name of the brush. I suspect they are called texture brushes but we always called them "stomping" brushes because that is the technique you use to apply the texture.

I first learned of this brush when a contractor showed me how to texture a ceiling using one.

When doing a ceiling, you attach the brush to a pole and thin the mixture just slightly with white paint. You can have a much more "peaked" effect on a ceiling because you are not brushing up against it like you are with a wall, so the mixture is much thicker than you would make for a wall.

You need to prime the ceiling first because when you do a ceiling, you do not paint it when you are finished stomping it. That is why you thin the mixture with white paint.

Jeff
Yanita

Hi CPA!

Great hearing from you again. Wow, love your website, you have done so much to your home!

Another method of texture for your walls is simply to trowel on the joint compound, you can make a swirl pattern etc...type in venetian plaster technique in your search engine...you do not even have to do the sanding etc if you choose not to.

I have used this method on a few of my walls, looks great if you like an old world style look.

Yanita

Oh, and that brush can usually be found at Lowe's in the specialty paint accessories area.
CPA

OOPS,

Sorry, I forgot to answer part of your question. Yanita is correct, Lowe's, Home Depot and most paint stores have the brush.

Every day is another project. Some days the project is finding the cash for the next project.
mokehillannie

CPA,

Thank you for the video. It's much easier to understand when you can see it actually being done.

Did you use a powdered compound, or was it premixed and you added more water?

It really looks nice on your walls.
CPA

This was a premixed joint compound. In the video we used a box of Green standard joint compound and mixed it in a bucket wit about a quart of water.

I really prefer to buy my joint compound in 5 gallon pails and mix it in the pail but in this particular video I took a box of regular Green joint compound and put it in a 5 gallon pail to mix it.
mokehillannie

Thanks.
BarbLee

Hello Doni:

I recently have done the brown paper technique in my bathroom. I love the look and I would love to share a picture with you or anyone else that would like to see it. I do not know how to add a picture to this post. If someone could share information how to add a picture, I would be happy to do so.
Popsicle_toes

would love to see the pics! as you reply to a question, just above is an upload picture radio button.. from there it is really self explanatory. also, did you prime or put the wallpaper sizing on the wall first? that's the point I'm at right now.. have the rest of the supplies ready to go for the paper, still have to buy the polyurethane (that's gotten a lot more expensive since the last time i got it!) I'm thinking matte finish for it.
Doni
proud owner of doni's dump!
BarbLee

Popsicle Toes:

I had to pull off old wall paper. Underneath that wallpaper, there was already something on the wall. I don't know what it is called, but it is a paper like covering that goes over panelling to make it smooth. I left that paper on the wall. I believe that paper is called sizing. Then I painted primer over that paper covering.

Instructions stated that it is very important to put a primer down first.

http://www.bozzle.com/bbwBonnyeManning.html

This is the link to that technique and I tried to follow it.

I used a polycrylic by Minwax for the final application.

I see the button that should allow me to do the photos, however, I still cannot get it to work correctly.

You can email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to send you photos.

Thanks, Barb
Yanita

Hi Barb,

Went and checked your site settings, apparently there was an oversight on the enable pics ability. I have since enabled your ability to upload pics, go ahead and try again.

If in the future you have a problem with a site function please email myself or another site Admin/Mod, I do not always read every post every day. This goes for all other members as well.

Sorry for the oversight,

Yanita