Speaking of painting floors...

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

I posted the progress and results of my floor painting experiment a short while back. I was on a tight budget and was tired of waiting to be able to afford flooring... so I discovered floor painting and tried it on my bathroom.

I was very happy with the results and so I decided to redo my entire kitchen. I have the standard "looks like woodgrain" cabinets and wallpaper. I had duct tape patches on my old floor. I started a few days ago and ripped up the vinyl floor. Removing the old paper and glue patches was made easy once I tried Lacquer thinner (use with ventilation - extremely flammable).

Primed the entire room from floor to ceiling with Kilz. Right over the wallpaper and everything.

Cabinets will be getting a Khaki-green coat of glossy oil based paint. Walls will be a tan / putty color. Floor will be off-white base coat with a black stamped pattern (oil based deck paint).

Here are pics of the grand mess - more to follow...

Ripping up the vinyl.

Before - cabinets and wallpaper

Floor stripped and cabinet doors removed

Floor, walls and cabinets all primed with Killz.

Last edited by mobtek on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1989 Fuqua SW
mobtek

Cabinets and walls have been finished. The green is brighter than I thought it would be, but my goal was a colorful house - I think the green is certainly colorful... :lol:

Floor has been mostly primed and now that walls and cabinets are finished I can start dealing with it. I think I am going to continue the black and white checker theme, but I believe that this time I will go to a 6" square and I think I may add small green diamonds to accent it.

Some more pics -

1989 Fuqua SW
Trudi

Love the green cabinets! They give everything such a fresh look.
mobtek

Thanks Trudi - At first I didn't care for the Green. I know that the Green-Tan combo is weird, but after having it for a few days I love it. The checkered floor should really help tie it together.

Here are the next pics. (BTW - I have uploaded full size pics to my personal Album, but I can't seem to view them right now)

Some Bondo work on the nail holes and seams.

Here is the Base coat. Two coats of Gloss, off-White, oil-based deck paint.

1989 Fuqua SW
mobtek

Moving on to the border and checkers...

In this step I am painting the 2" border around the perimeter of the room.

In this pic I have begun stamping 6" squares. I used Black gloss oil-based paint. I am not attempting to make any of these perfect. In fact, I am purposely making them looked stamped.

Here is a closer look at the pattern.

1989 Fuqua SW
mobtek

Well, I'm finally finished. Here are some pictures of the end product. Again, I am very happy with this floor-painting-thing. Sure looks great for plywood...

Anyway - here is my new kitchen - (total cost - about $85)

1989 Fuqua SW
mobtek

Before - After

1989 Fuqua SW
Yanita

Hi Mobtek,

Good job, love the green apple looking cabinet color. Amazing what a gallon of paint can do huh?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
dandjbarrett

Beautiful work. I love those vibrant green cabinets and especially love the checkered floors.
mobtek

Thank You :D

Now that the Albums are working again, I do have large format pics in my Album:

album.php?user_id=1743
1989 Fuqua SW
browningthree

Wow!! What a great job. I can't believe the low cost and it was only paint! Very creative!
Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
mobtek

FYI - most of the cost was in replacing the cabinet hardware. I spent about $60 (which is CHEAP) on the pulls and hinges. The painting part really only cost me around (+/-) $25. I have a LOT of leftover paint from each gallon that I purchased.
1989 Fuqua SW
dandjbarrett

WOW. Your before and after pics in the gallery really give a good feel for the huge difference in the bathroom and kitchen. Beautiful work!! Your creativity is amazing.
Trudi

mobtek wrote:Thanks Trudi - At first I didn't care for the Green. I know that the Green-Tan combo is weird, but after having it for a few days I love it. The checkered floor should really help tie it together. It does, and the colors are very nice together.

Here are the next pics. (BTW - I have uploaded full size pics to my personal Album, but I can't seem to view them right now) Ha! I've been in your kitchen so much, (via your pics) you should charge me rent. :lol:

Some Bondo work on the nail holes and seams.

Here is the Base coat. Two coats of Gloss, off-White, oil-based deck paint.

mobtek

That's pretty funny Trudi - maybe you could grab me something to drink while you're in there?...

I will be starting a new project soon, though I will not be doing any floor painting. Can't afford new carpet and I definitely do NOT want all hard floors.

Cabinets and walls in the Dining/Living area will be getting a face lift. We've decided to go with off-White cabinets and very light blue-ish-teal color on the Walls. Yup - COLOR!

I'll post pics when I get to it. I am actually considering a design on one wall - possibly a large beach scene.
1989 Fuqua SW