My Oasis in the Desert

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jinx

A year ago our mobile burnt down and we had a new home put back on our lot. We have been working on the landscaping. It is difficult because there is so much rock. We have a ways to go but I wanted to share what we have done. I have before and after pics.

Before:

After:
Yanita

Wow, you are getting there. Starting from scratch landscaping is a very hard job...on the back and the wallet!

It's shaping up real nice. I know since you have alot of rock, most likely you are tired of it, but over here in eastern NC I would love to have readily available rock. We have to pay for everyone in our yard!

Keep us updated on your progress, thanks for sharing!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
jinx

Here we have to pay for dirt. And it is not cheap. I would gladly trade you rocks for dirt. I will update later.
Yanita

LOL, if we were closer together...done deal. I have the best dirt around here...right next to 2 commercial fields...peanuts, soy bean, corn, & cotton.

The acre that we are sitting on was originally part of those fields. Seems most of the plants grow to 3 times what they are suppose to. We have a mulberry bush that is actually a 20 foot tree!

I really like landscape timbers for edging flower beds but that is not a safe viable option here either. We have to watch closely for termites here. So all edging I try to use a stone product or bricks.

Thanks for the pics, I noticed in one of them that there is a unit of some type that sits on the roof...is that by chance what you call a swamp cooler? We don't use them here.

Again, keep us posted on your progress.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Sylvia

Yanita, here in Iowa, we only have mulberry trees. I've never seen a mulberry bush. Though we have excellent dirt here as well.
jinx

Yanita wrote: Thanks for the pics, I noticed in one of them that there is a unit of some type that sits on the roof...is that by chance what you call a swamp cooler? We don't use them here.

Again, keep us posted on your progress.

Yanita
Yes that is a swamp cooler in the background. They only work good when you have dry heat like we have. During the monsoon season they aren't worth much as the humidity is too high. Also, when it gets to be around 110 and above they don't do a good job. When we got our new place we didn't bother with getting one.

ETA: I see you are in NC so it wouldn't work there.
WildIrish

[quote="jinx"
Yes that is a swamp cooler in the background. They only work good when you have dry heat like we have. During the monsoon season they aren't worth much as the humidity is too high. Also, when it gets to be around 110 and above they don't do a good job. When we got our new place we didn't bother with getting one.
[/quote]
Am I guessing right, that you're living in Arizona? I lived there for 20+ years before moving back to the Plains. I know we're in Tornado Alley, but I'm LOVING having temps in the 80's in June, and only having to use the A/C once in a while, instead of 24/7.

Congratulations on recovering from your terrible loss. You've done a great job. I love the painted rocks around your flagpole! :wink:
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]