Kitchen backsplash ideas

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Handweaving

Hi,
I did a stained glass mosaic for my backsplash. I'm still not done. but, what I did was put my mosaic on plywood (after cutting to the right sizes) and then attached the plywood to the wall, makes gluing and grouting much easier. It can be seen in my photos.
Best Wishes in whatever you decide.
Juli in Illinois
lacey

Thanks for the replies!

I was looking around at the hardware store yesterday and found some nice vinyl floor tile that would look nice with the cupboards. I think I am going to go for that! Wish me luck! Does anyone here know how it will hold up behind a stove?

Handweaving, that backsplash is amazing but I know I don't have the time or patience for that!

Stephanie, I checked out those tiles at Home Depot. The ones they had were 3 something a peice and 3x3. Ouch! Thanks for the suggestion though.
Yanita

Hi,

Like I said in a previous post, not sure how long these tiles will hold up over the long run.

Anyways, just a thought, if these tiles have just a touch of black and some new black hardware for the cupboards you will have a whole new look!

Another thought I had was I would think these tiles would need some sort of trim to finish the top and maybe side edge off, go look in the trim section, they have some great styles to choose from.

Have fun!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lacey

Well, changed my mind again..............lol :oops:

I am in the process of taking off the border, pita I might add and am thinking maybe just paint for now on the walls until summer. I too am scared that the tiles won't hold up. DH said his concern was moisture behind the sink as well as heat from the stove.

I am going to post pics of the kitchen before in my album so if anyone wants to take a look, feel free.

Thanks
lacey
Yanita

Hi,

Well if you ever do decide to add tile or any type of back splash that protrudes out from the wall it will need to be caulked at the top and bottom.

Tile is fine and heat wont hurt it, if you have the exhaust fan running while cooking you should have no issues with moisture.

Good luck.

~Yanita~
Handweaving

Hi Lacey,

LOL, I am often changing my mind about what or how to do stuff. You could always paint a design, I found alot of backsplash designs by going to google images. Anyway whatever you decide, I love the color of your cupboards!

Thanks for the nice comment on my backsplash.

I know lot's of folks are waiting for the warmer weather, but, for me I'd rather shovel snow than mow!! Except when I lived in Upper Penninsula of Michigan where we had 300" of snow!!
klm9707

Hi. I wanted to say that I also really like the color of your cabinets. The dark color will be nice due to having young ones with messy fingers and they are so pretty. I also agree with the black knobs, that would look so classy. I have seen mirror tiles used as a back splash. It looked very nice and would be easy to apply but not to sure about the stove area. Good luck with what you decide.
squirt13

There is new backsplash material that looks like old metal tin tiles. They come in a few finishes and are lite weight and really not expensive. You can find them at both Home Depot and Lowes.
Maureen

Hi Squirt!

I saw those in the last few Lowes ads that came in the house! Now, they are about $20.00 a sheet, but I only need 2 of them, maybe 3 if I get fancy with things.

Looks like the tile and these are the best bets for easy clean up. Even tile needs to have the grout sealed regularly. My back splash is just on one small counter, no cooktop. At the same time, it does get pretty messy!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
kashton

I would like to say that a friend of mine owns a 2000 model Mobile home that had a tile backsplash. She wasn't very good at wiping her counter top without soaking it. Her wall warped behind the tile, and of course the tile tile came loose from the wall. I removed the tiles and let the wall dry. I told her not to soak the counter top. A few days later, I replaced the tile to a sum-what warped wall, but managed to seal the tiles, and it looked great again. She didn't even give it two days before she sopped her counter tops again. I give up helping her.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Sylvia

I'm going to have to check out those tile-y things at lowes! At some point we'll be ripping out the entire kitchen and starting over I'm sure though.

My dh wants a break though. shhhhhh :lol:
Yanita

Ladies, :wink:

I thought I finally had a finished planned for my kitchen remodel next year...well now with these tile things I might need to do another redesign!

Anybody have a link to this product?

Sylvia I thought you recently did a kitchen remodel?

~Yanita~
Maureen

Hey Yanita,

Not sure if this link will work or not. It's under my local online Lowe's ad. These are on sale until May 13th. They also come in different finishes! At least 5 or 6 finishes, if I remember correctly. If the link doesn't work, go to Lowes.com and look for the weekly ad link. You'll find it in one of the weekly ads they show.

http://lowes.shoplocal.com/lowes/defaul ... aureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
kashton

She had the fancy paneling. Factory mobile home. She is just really bad with the water. I don't know why she doesn't ring-out the cloth. It has me stumped! She tends to spray the water to wet the cloth too. You know when water pressure is way too high, and you put something under it.
By the way, this would be Troyster's Crack-head next-door I'm talking about. Enough explanation right there, isn't it!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
lrjester

Hi Lacey!!. Sounds like you have a full project planned ahead!
As for the backsplash, are you meaning for behind the stove? or the whole length of the countertop?
When I bought this used m/h in 2005, (it's a 1995 Liberty), it didn't have any backsplash behind the stove. The kitchen needed painted desparately too. Anyway, I painted the kitchen a nice green color, but still couldn't figure out what to use for the backsplash behind the stove. In one of my closets, I found a spare window pane set up for a door. It didn't go to my doors, so I stripped off all the edging hardware, and mounted the glass behind my stove with mirror mounts. Looks just like shiny paint, and cleans up beautifully!! I can also scrape off any splattered grease with a razor blade.
As for finding a piece of glass similar, you can check for a local Habitat ReStore, to see if there is one in or near your community. They will have lots of misc. things there.
P.S. I like the idea for copper ceiling tiles too!!