Kitchen backsplash ideas

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lacey

Hi all!

I am wanting to do something to my kitchen backsplash or should I say lack of one. Right now it has a gross wallpaper border around it and I want to get rid of it.

Any ideas as to what to do to jazz it up?

I can tell you I have 2x4 walls so I don't think tile would be supported very well and I don't think I want to go there. I need to find something that is nice but also cost effective as I don't want to spend a ton of money.

Thanks
Yanita

Hi Lacey,

Welcome to the forum!

Before I can really give you a few ideas how about letting us know what your decorating style is? :D

Your back splash area can be tiled if that is the look you want. 2x4 exterior walls can handle that.

If you do not mind please go back and complete your profile, knowing a little about your home and yourself helps us with ideas!

Look forward to helping you...

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lacey

Sorry, I must be blind but I can't find where to modify my profile... :oops:

Anyways I can tell you a bit about my home right now. It is a 1976. The cupboards have been painted a dark burgundy terra cotta color. The countertops are yellow - the original I am sure. And the walls right now are yellow too. I like the color of the cupboards, am probably going to freshen it up with something that matches close to what it is. The hardware is gold too.

Hth some
lacey
lacey

OK, i think I have figured out how to fix the profile thing....should have looked at website questions forum first........ :oops:

Oh one more thing, I have oak colored laminate in the kitchen too.
Maureen

Hi Lacey, Welcome to the forum!

I still don't see your profile. just click on your username, and it should give you the option to edit it. If you can't find it, don't sweat it, we're all in learning mode right now. Look at the website forum questions to find the instructions.

There are many options for back splashes for the kitchen! I've been trying to make up my mind for 8 years now LOL! After living here this many years, we've decided to incorporate our family room into the kitchen, It's one huge open area.... and everyone gravitates here anyway when entertaining. Right now, we still have youngest son at home, living in our office area. That has forced us to use part of the living room and the family room for my floral business.

Now, don't get me wrong, I totally hate the 70's look, but I'm leaning toward a Z brick or Z rock for the back splash. I hate tile, and something industrial like stainless steel, just don't get it for me! But then, my home does have a country feel and the rock and brick fit right in. My backsplash does not include a cooking surface. My cooktop is in an island.

Maureen 8)
Yanita

Hi Lacey,

With terra cotta colored cupboards I immediately think of mexican or tuscan colors.

What do you have for accents in you kitchen, pics on the walls, etc.

I am to assume that your stove is on the exterior wall. Since you like the color of your cabinets I would choose other colors that compliment it. If you want tile but not the entire backsplash area you can tile just above your stove. If you do not want to place the tiles directly to the wall get a piece of plywood, say 1/2 inch thick, apply your tiles to that, then you can hang that above your stove.

~Yanita~
lacey

Well hopefully now the profile thing is finished!

My stove isn't on an exterior wall, kitchen cupboards are basically L shaped and my sink and a window is on the exterior wall. Stove is on the other part of the cupboards on the L so to speak.

Thanks for the tile suggestions I don't think I wanna go the tile route, I think it would be too tricky for me to accomplish with a toddler and new baby coming. Is there any other products that can be applied to the backsplash that would be lighter?

I do want to do something to it this spring or summer though, what colors do you think compliment terra cotta. Right now the walls are a yellow and so is the countertop but I would consider another wall color - I can't do the countertops now.

Is there no one out there who has redone their backspash with anything other than tile?

Thanks
lacey
troyster

Hi Lacey, I did my kitchen wall backsplash using sheet flooring with a tile pattern. I have had lots of compliments from people-I will post a picture in my project album
Yanita

Hi Lacey,

Yup, you got past the profile, thank you! :D

Wow a toddler and one on the way...Bless you! :P

Any earth tones will compliment terra cotta. One of my first thoughts was to change the handles on the cupboards, to something black.

There are many things that can be used as a back splash...rolled copper, kind of pricey and personally think it would clash with the cupboards. Rolled aluminum, but I think that is to industrial looking for the cupboards.

As Troyster said, some have used peel and stick floor tiles, others have used sheet vinyl. Not sure how these products will/would hold up over the long haul above a hot stove.

In the home improvements stores in the wall board section...paneling, they also have other types of wall coverings that can be cut to fit and then trimmed.

~Yanita~
Last edited by Yanita on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD
Site Admin

Decorating and colors and such is not really one of my strong points, but I could recommend a material to use. Formica and Wilsonart can be purchased in 4x8 (or less) sheets. I have installed this all the way up to and sometimes behind the kitchen cabinets. To get a good fit, get a roll of the brown kraft paper for about $10 and tape sections of the paper together until you have a perfect pattern to use to cut the laminate. The walls must be clean to glue the laminate to the wall. You can use the Wilsonart water based contact cement or the spray adhesive.

Just an idea. You would have almost unlimited colors and styles. There is also the new stuff that has a bit of texture to it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Hi Lacey,

Another option is with terra cotta is going country French! You have the lighter colors with the rustic! Yellow, cream white and a touch of blue, lavender or purple work well.

Still don't have a quick, easy back splash idea! Sorry!

Maureen 8)
Sylvia

I've seen copper ceiling tiles used as a back splash and really like the look.
Mickey

Maureen wrote: I've been trying to make up my mind for 8 years now LOL!
Maureen 8)
:D me too! Can't find anything in my price range that I like or that will hold up to heavy cooking LOL
lacey

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I really like the idea of switching out to black handles, sounds pretty cool.

Troyster, your kitchen looks very nice. I like the nice clean look of the white cupboards.

I am still at odds here trying to figure out what to do. Well hubby thinks I am nesting with the new baby coming... I am sure I probably am too. I am just tired of looking at the same old walls. We haven't been here 2 years yet and I have painted every room except the kitchen and my bedroom. I am determined to do both this summer yet!!!

If I figure out something I will post and see what you all think. I just might end up painting the wall and leaving it painted.

I knwo you said you do not want to do tile, understandable with a baby on the way. However do you like the look of tile?

If you do you can go to home depot and they have tiles for back splashes in amny difernt colors, paterns and styles which are stick ons and look just like the real thing without the grouting etc.

I managed to tile mine last summer with real tiles, and grouting sucks, but I am finally happy with the outcome.

Good Luck to you and your family and keep us posted on what you decide.

Stefanie (fellow stay at home mum)
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.