1/4" Rubber Flooring (for gyms) as bathroom or kitchen

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

Okay, maybe I am a little weird - my wife would not disagree. I have this idea that I might like to use 1/4" Rubber flooring (like for a gym) in my bathrooms and kitchen. First of all I like the "industrial" look. Second, you can beat the POO out of this stuff and it will be fine - unlike my old kitchen floor which has been destroyed by scooting the old fridge across it.

Here is a website I looked at for ordering the stuff:

http://www.cartwheelfactory.com/rubber-rolls.html

It can be glued (loosely?) to the sub-floor. I comes in some cool color combos, though I will probably go with black. And it's DURABLE.

So - am I nuts? Has anybody else done this? Opinions... (be nice)?
1989 Fuqua SW
Mark
Site Admin

Most likely it would work fine, but it doesn't list wet areas like kitchen and bathrooms (although it lists garages which could be a wet area if you drive your car in from the rain). So before buying, I'd e-mail them asking their opinion of using it in a bathroom or kitchen. Hockey arenas use it in bathrooms, so I suspect it'll be fine. But you'd want to be sure urine can't do anything to it.

The prices listed on the website you gave weren't too bad either. Personally I wouldn't go with black as it'll make your room appear dark and small. Just my two cents.

Otherwise I like the idea. I bet you could just lay it down, no gluing needed. But again, I'd check with them on that.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
mobtek

After e-mailing the company they say it is not recommended for "wet" areas. I still like the idea and may look for a commercial-kitchen grade rubber - just for grins...
1989 Fuqua SW
mobtek

Does anyone have any sources for commercial grade flooring that ISN'T too expensive?
1989 Fuqua SW
Yanita

Hi,

Going to move this one to the decorating forum as well, we try to keep the repair forum just for repair questions.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!