Peel and stick vinyl tiles

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mahela

Just wanted to verify if the plan I have made is ideal, do tell me about this from your experiences. I am looking to remodel my floor but at the same time am considering the cost factor too. My plan is to install self-stick vinyl floor tiles initially and later on go for the hardwood floors. The idea is mine and I have not consulted any expert on this yet, your comments friends? Its not easy to get the building extensions done as far as I heard.
Last edited by mahela on Wed May 14, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yanita

Hi Mahela,

I separated your post from the one you originally attached to. These are 2 different applications and I would like to give each one separate attention.

Sooo, you want peel and stick tiles. Generally we do not recommend peel and stick in the wet rooms, bathrooms and kitchen.

I personally have used the Novalis brand tiles purchased from Lowe's in my previous home. They worked great. BUT, my home is low traffic, meaning no dogs and no children except the occasional visiting granddaughters.

I only recommend peel and stick if they are being laid over existing full sheet vinyl. If your existing vinyl is damaged, holes, tears etc those will need to be repaired. IF the existing vinyl has any texture to it then you should use a floor leveling compound to smooth the entire surface. To not do so can/will lead to the existing vinyl pattern to bleed thru into the new tile.

Personally if you plan on a wood floor I would continue to save money until I could purchase what I really want. To me it would seem like throwing good money away on buying something else.

If you still plan on going with tiles then buy the best quality you can afford. Dollar store brands and knock offs will peel up from the floor. Then you would have to remove all the tiles before you lay down the wood flooring.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
texasprairierose

Mahela,

We put stick and peel down in our laundry room and we love it! We chose an 18" x 18" tile made by Cryntel that we purchased at Lowe's; we grouted between the tiles and honestly you cannot tell that they aren't real stone. We like it so much that we are going to take up our laminate and carpet in the kitchen, dining room and sunroom and put these tiles down.

Yanita, I haven't forgotten about posting the pictures of the laundry room! We have one small thing to do in there and I hope to post the pictures this weekend.

Diane
Trickey280

I always thought peel and stick was junk but then our friend the tile guy told us the proper way to lay them so they stay and don't move around. He does flooring for a profession so I believe him. We have laid them in both bathrooms and have had great success.

First we put down a layer of luan to level the floor and cover any gaps in flooring. Then you put a thin layer of VCT glue and wait until the glue has no transfer onto your fingers when touched. This could take 8 hours or up to 24, depends on humidity and air flow. This stuff will stink up your house so open the windows. The VCT makes a waterproof barrier between the tiles and under floor. After there is no transfer you are good to lay your tiles. This prevents them from moving and from water damage. If you lay the tiles while wet, like alot of people think, then you run the risk of the glue pushing up between tiles and they can move around until the glue is dried. When you do it the right way soon as they are put down there will be no movement.
Lorne

The previous owner had tiled right over the MDF with no sealant on the bare MDF.
They are moving slowly and it was never leveled before hand. Someday we will lay hardwood, but it MAY mean ripping up everything right down to the floor joists in the living room, dining room and kitchen. We can wait to do it right.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

Hi Lorne,

Well sorry if your plans had to be delayed...BUT, if you want laminate or other type of wood that is exactly what I would do...wait, until you have the money to do what you really want. Even if it means you go to the floor joist to get the proper install!

LOL, for the past 2 years I have been living with older kitchen cabinets, hate them, BUT, I will wait until they make the top of the priority list to replace them.

Back to flooring, specifically tiles. There are alot of different tiles, ceramic, porcelain, granite for the upper end, then there are different tiles that require special glues and sealants...but your basic peel and stick tile is just that. Peel and stick, some brands are better than others as with all products.

I know for a fact that you would never add any type of glue to Novalis brand! Cut and dry, read the instructions and install accordingly.

As for wood flooring it is recommended that laminate be used in mobile homes because of the flex/twisting we can get during the change of seasons. I am not a real fan of this flooring, just a personal opinion. I hate the way they sound when walked on with high heels or other hard soled shoes.

Also with laminate if you have big dogs they slip pretty easily on this stuff...so do people!

Hopefully when my flooring gets to the top of the list the funding will be there as well...I want and will wait for southern pine wood flooring. At current we are checking into reclaimed lumber.

Anyways, enjoy your home, continue with your updating decorating projects. If you are going to live there for years to come, wait and replace items with what your truly want, don't make do with anything!

Yanita
bell30655

Until discovery of this site/post by accident, I was in a quandary to determine what to do with the kitchen, laundry area and entrance area of a mobile home that I recently purchased.

Previous owner was a HEAVY smoker and not much on the cleaning aspect. The home is a 1987 Redman 14 X ?? (I'll have to measure soon.) The vinyl is in perfect shape with no tears, cuts or other surface problems but the floor is very yellowed/brownish color.

The peel and stick products from Lowe's sound perfect for my situation. I like the idea of being able to lay the new floor right over the existing without having a huge expense of paying someone else to do it. Besides I kind of want to be able to say... "I did it."
mist1953

My question is to Yanita, I have a bit of a dimpling in the vinyl flooring so I was told by a worker at Lowe's to use a flooring glue to secure the tiles. Should I use the glue or is the glue on the backing of the tile enough to hold it in place. I also purchased Novalis peel and stick tile from Lowe's. If I don't have to use it I can return the glue and get my money back, which I'd rather not use the glue if I don't have to.
Yanita

Hi,

IF you are using Novalis NO extra glue is required. Trust me these things stick. Return the glue and get yourself a bottle of GOO GONE. You will have some of the glue squeeze up from the tiles as you press them into place. Dampen a clean WHITE rag and wipe the glue off before it has the chance to harden.

If I remember correctly it is best to let these tiles acclimate to your home for a day or so before setting into place. Read the instructions if you have a pattern tile. There will be directional arrows on the back of the tiles.

For the best appearance get yourself a chalk line and find the center of your floor, start there and work your way out. Yes, you will have more cutting to do, but they cut easy with a sharp utility knife, get a pack of extra blades.

For extra "pressing" power I took a typical wooden rolling pin wrapped in a small kitchen towel, and then being on hands and knees applied upper body weight as I rolled the pin across the installed tiles.

Which design did you get.

If your dimpling is real pronounced you might want to consider using a floor leveling compound to fill in the dimples. I will confess I passed that step and had no problems with the floor tiles.

Good luck,

Yanita
bell30655

When I went to Lowe's I found a range of the peel and stick 12 X 12 tiles. There was one for 38¢ a sq ft but it was thin and well, looked cheap. One a little better and then there was a whole collection of Armstrong Signia. I found a pattern that I liked. This Friday, I plan to spend the day finishing the painting and then I'm laying tile.

Hopefully, I'll have hidden away that ugly floor with something that will look nice. It has a 25 year warranty so it can't be too cheap. No to find an inexpensive way to take care of those not so clean carpets that need to be replaced.
mist1953

The style is called Riviera Stone 18X18. It's a cream with touches of beige and browns. I did not want a dark floor covering. I have black and white sheet vinyl and it makes my kitchen look large and bright.