We bought another one!

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Katie

Hello Everyone ! I feel that I know so many of you, I have read nearly every word--that was last year when we bought our first double wide home in a 55+ community. I didn't want to be "snowed" by the handyman, and wanted to do as much of the work as I could, to cut costs. Boy, did I ever learn a lot from reading all of your wonderful information! Well, that home is fixed up real nice. We want to use it for a snowbird home in the winter...once my hubby decides to retire and we move back up NORTH to be near the grandchildren.... We have that home rented out to the best people and were satisfied until we came across a real bargain----so we did it again !!!! this one needs more repairs that the other one, but we got it so cheap that we can put more into it.... sometimes I wonder if I am sane, I have really made a lot of work for myself. So far we had to have a lot of the floor replaced with plywood, I am not kidding, you could see the ground outside through the bathroom and utility room floors !!!!! I know I can't tell you anything about how badly water ruins these homes. Even in our "real" (LOL) house we discovered subflooring made of particle board when we took up the carpet to install laminate flooring. We had to replace all the living room, foyer, and dining room floors. So mobile homes aren't the only kinds of houses you cant get wet!! This one smells so bad I have named it "The Stinky House", and it was so filthy I had to wear goves constantly inside at first. I have washed walls etc and cleaned carpet and of course replacing the rotten wood has made a big difference. All the windows were screwed shut, and the people must have chained smoked in here and never let in fresh air.... I laugh at myself, my husband says: "don't spend too much money" and then we both laugh. I am sorry to take up so much space with this story, but I am really excited to have "joined up" with you all, and hope to be able to get more help and also chime in with some of what I have learned. It is nice to know I have you all as friends who are honestly interested in helping others...... thanks so much.
Katie
ps: I cannot get into my "profile"--- there is no link !
It's only money, Right?
Greg

Katie, Hi & welcome to the family. Yes, stop lurking and come on in!!
There is nothing like a nice rehab project to really test you as you know or will soon find out.
I sent a "Freinds request", that should get you into your profile section, If not Yanita is the expert, I'm sure she can help. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."