Have you regretted painting kitchen cabinets?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

stillworking

My kitchen cabinets are actually in good condition (no sagging, etc.) but that chocolate brown color is starting to make me crazy! So much so, that if I "ruin" them with paint, although I wouldn't want to, I'm willing to do a replacement. I do a lot of painting so I'm familiar with the process, but wondering what others results have been.
Yanita

Hi,

I certainly never regretted painting mine!

Anything was better than that dark brown. Since you are familiar with painting then you know that a real good cleaning and a slight sanding will be required.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Try the paint, if it doesn't work replace them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
stillworking

Thanks, Yanita and Greg. I have some other projects to finish before I can paint the cabinets, but I'm going to do it. Yanita - do you remember what brand and type of paint you used? I've read that Ace Hardware sells an excellent cabinet paint, but I've never used it.
Yanita

Hi,

Certainly do remember...everytime I have done this I have always used Kilz 2 latex primer, and my paint is always Valspar, both can be bought at Lowe's.

Others may use different products but I have had real good success with my choices. Remember the key to any painting process is preparation!

Yanita
stillworking

I like Valspar paint. When I'm at Lowe's I always check their mis-tints. They usually have several gallons of Valspar at $5 each. It's what I use in all the rentals. At the end of several painting projects, I mix all the leftovers together (I only buy light neutral shades) and finish it off.

I always say painting is 80% preparation and 20% painting.
bkbunny

Hi I have just finished painting my WHOLE kitchen, including cabinets. and I am so darn gosh happy with out them brown cabinets in there, perks up kitchen so much wiht out all that dark brown,,now all left to do is new flooring and I can move on to next room :0)
Clean,,, Sand,,,, and Prime, and you will be happy
Good Luck
mobtek

I had great results with a small bathroom cabinet using Killz2 and Oil Based paint. I will definitely be painting my other cabinets. Prep + Patience = Success!
1989 Fuqua SW
Serena

I'm one of those who prefers the look of the wood itself to paint. If I couldn't stand to look at mine anymore, I'd strip them and restain.

Just my two cents worth.
Robin

Yanita,

I was just wondering, because painting my ugly brown "fake wood" kitchen cabinets is definitely on my to-do list down the road. The frame itself, above and below the doors - what to do with that? I was hoping all sanding could be done outside, to cut down on sawdust mess, but there's no way to take that thing apart. If I do that, I may as well order new kitchen cabinets. Or I suppose it's possible to do the doors outside, but not the rest?

Another quick question - clean with tsp, right, then sand, then prime, then paint? Latex? I'd like to paint them white, I think it would brighten up my kitchen. And...polyurethane?
Yanita

Hi Robin,

Long time no see!

Yup, you have the steps down that I do, except I forgo the poly. Even if you get good coverage with your primer the first time, I always do a second coat, waiting at least 24 hours between coats, the same with the paint. To me, maybe not others this seems to really let each coat properly cure and stands up well.

Hope you had a great holiday weekend!

Yanita