Mixing the original wall board and sheetrock

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

Our mobile home has the standard vinyl covered wall board on the inside. Some of these need to be replaced and we were wanting to use sheetrock. Is there are way to make the vinyl wall board and sheetrock go together and not look terrible. Is there a certain size of sheetrock that i need to get so that it is flush with the existing vinyl wall board?
We plan on painting after putting in the new replacement sheetrock and taping/mudding.
Greg

Try 3/8" sheetrock. if you have a section of the original off, measure the thickness. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

In addition to Greg's answer your sheetrock will have a flat smooth finish, your wall board will have a slight texture. If you check in the BOOKS/PARTS link I believe Mark has a video on how to make your textured wallboard walls smooth.

Yanita

http://mobilehomerepair.com/order.htm#catalog
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Trudi

I was wondering about the same thing as Yanita, but then I noticed you said that yours is vinyl covered. Does it have a texture to it, or is it a flat vinyl?
betty_joanne

It has a swirly pattern on it. Pretty sure we won't have it all matching except for the paint color but that is o.k.
Katie

What we did was to sheetrock an entire wall, to the corners. Then when I painted the room you couldn't tell the wall had ever been replaced. The moulding at the top and floor needs to match too, to make it all look "unified".

Katie
It's only money, Right?