removing a wall

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Eileen

we are removing a small bedroom inthe middle of our 1970's knight trailer near ottawa ontario canada and wanted to ask about supporting walls/beams in mobile homes...can we go ahead and take this room out (we want a bigger kitchen so we can fit a table in the space where the small bedroom once was) without worrying?
Eileen
Greg

Most single wides have no interior walls that are load bearing. the exception to the rule is when you have a wall where the ceiling height changes, other than that you could make a 1 room home if you wanted to. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Eileen

thanks for your response ours is a single wide and the roof does slope up a bit but not directly under where the wall we want to remove is located so that should be OK. this is a great website! i love reading the different entries and leaning more about mobile homes! thanks again.
Eileen
Yanita

Hi,

Greg was not meaning the roof...the interior ceilings is what he is talking about. If the wall you are removing has a cathedral ceiling on one side and a flat ceiling on the other this "could" be a load bearing wall.

Also be sure to shut off you power if there is an outlet or switch in the wall that you are removing. You will need to make allowances and be prepared for the relocation of wires.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!