Cabinet Doors

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bkbunny

Hi all, I do think I read this somewheres but, search didn't bring me to an answer.
With these fake wood press board cabinet doors, filled in grooves and sanded looks great BUT yeah always a but,,,,,
the edges are horrible i have used super fine sand paper, and a primer but they still look "flaky" hmmm searching now for a better word,,,,,, bumpy,, rough,, unfinished ah ha that seems to sum it up best,, they look like they are rough unfinished edges,,
I am poor lol and can't afford to really do what I would like after looking at prices of cabinets, and since this is only eye candy and not something like my roof or windows that I will spend $$ on
any suggestions????
Thanks BK
chasMB

I would try to Fill in the edges like the grooves and sand smooth.
bkbunny

I tried that and I can't seem to get the bumps all off so looks "odd" I have severe arthritis in hands so this is also a draw back for me
Greg

Depending on your skill level you could just make new doors. A good quality 1x pine is not too expensive & easy to work with. You would need to glue it up to get the width and finish the edges with a router, $40. if you have to buy one. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Arlo

Not sure what product "Fill" is but have you tried using either "Bondo" auto body filler or a two part (stinky) epoxy wood filler ? Also, are you using a power sander? A small finish sander is not very expensive and should produce a smooth surface.
bkbunny

Going to have my son stop at bro house and get me a hand sander and hopefully this will come out all smooth lol oh sometimes I am so funny *if only to me*
Yanita

Hi,

I used a product called Elmers Carpenters Wood Filler. It was easy to use. Just follow the instructions. Sanded real well with a palm sander. It is for interior and exterior use.

Personally unless you are real good with bondo I would not try that application...but you are certainly welcome to try.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bkbunny

ok I have tried this and that and Yanita is the winner of easiest thing for me to sand and stop pissing and moaning :0)
I din't know there was this, have seen wood glue etc etc guess I need to spend more time walking the hardware store aisles :0)
Yanita

Hi ,

This can be found at Lowe's, LOL, don't remember what aisle...hmm, I should know where more things are than the help!
While you are there pick up a cheap plastic sheetrock knife, less than a buck!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!