What are we getting into...lol

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Trickey280

The home we are in is in such rough condition that we are moving to another that basically needs cleaning and flooring replaced. The previous owner had 8 cats peeing everywhere. WE are going to tear up the carpet and kilz the underfloor then lay laminate down. The home is a 86 2 bed & bath single wide.

My biggest concern is the painting. It has drywall with the wall paper stuff over it. the house we are in now has the same thing but the walls had been painted before. This house we are getting has basically all original everything. How do I go about painting over these walls? If I just have to use kilzs do I use latex or oil based? Also we are going to paint the ceilings, can I use regular behr white paint? I already know to clean the walls and ceiling first, we are going to use water and a little vinegar to help with the smell of cats.

Thanks.
Greg

Kilz latex for both, they make a ceiling paint great stuff! If you have a popcorn ceiling DO NOT try to use a roller!! I had to use a brush and dab it on, it you use a roller the first pass softens the popcorn, the second pass pulles it off onto the roller. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

Ah Yes...the smell of cats.

When I bought my home on wheels one particular room had a strong smell. After ripping up the carpet and pad I spread fresh coffee grounds on the floor....lots of it. Let it set a week and vacuumed it up.

Good Luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Well here are my thoughts..alot more costly than coffee grounds, and primer.

If your current floors are particle board I recommend replacing with plywood. If this is not an monetary option then at least try to do it in the kitchen and baths. These are the areas that commonly get damaged from water leaks.

For myself I could not leave urine stained wood as a subfloor for my home. Vinegar and water is another way of getting rid of the smell, but remember you are only reducing/covering the scent.

Also if male cats where involved then it is very possible that they have sprayed the walls! At cat level. To check for this use a floresccent black light around dusk, shine the light close to the walls and whatever they sprayed will glow yellow...eeeewwww...but you will know where they have been.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
mokehillannie

We bought a house one time that had been lived in by a "hoarder". The cat urine smell was terrible!! We went to the pet store and got an enzyme that completely removed the smell. It cost about $27.00 a gallon and we used a bunch, but it did the trick.
Yanita

HI,

That product was most likely called Natures Miracle. It is a great product and yes it does break down the organic composition of urine. It works great but due to the fact that the instructions require "saturation" of the effected areas it could get costly and not sure that particle board flooring could withstand the saturation.

Again, JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Trickey280

Well we have painted the whole hose from top to bottom with kilz oil and there is no more smell of cats. The smell had soaked into everything in there. We even painted all the cabinets inside and out. Now to choose wall color....
chasMB

RUT ROW....... Kilz LATEX is what you needed to use. My other half painted this parts of this place before she got me and used oil based Kilz. It does not stick to the vinyl covered sheet rock. You can peel the paint of in sheets in a lot of places. We are working on peeling and scraping it off room by room now to redo the job with Kilz LATEX.
LynnieCheb

Just a double-check here. Guess I didn't realize Kilz came in two different formulas. Latex is the way to go?
chasMB

Latez Kilz is what is sticking to the walls here. The oil based will peel off in sheets for most of what we have removed here. She is wiping down the walls with ammonia and water to make sure they are clean before we are putting on the LATEX Kilz. we have 7 walls and 2 ceilings done.... 9 walls and 2 ceilings still to remove the old stuff off of and repaint.
Mark440

Another good "primer" product out there is called XIM. I believe it is carried by Sherwin Williams.

Is it good? One of the marketing displays shows how well it bonds to glass. And there is a razor scraper hanging next to the display for you to try to scrape it off. It doesn't.

With that being said, if you use it, you need some danged good ventilation. If you don't, you can be guaranteed 1/10 the number of functioning brain cells afterwards and a really odd "buzz" that lasts for days.

Oh wait...maybe that was the Jim Beam.... :)
Trickey280

The oil based stuck I asked the paint guy and he said the oil is what will seal the odors away. The kilz website also says to use it on wallpapers and odors. We haven't had any problems, it stuck to all in sight.

We started to paint out cabinets with our paint sprayer and about half way through our week old sprayer quit on us so we had to waste the day picking everything up then going back to the store to return it. Then the lady was angry because the store was going to have to take a loss on it. I told her oh well either they are out $100 or we are, I think the store can afford it more.

We chose a milk chocolate color for our cabinets and a cream color for the walls (top) and a golden brown for the wain coating(sp?).

We have decided to just paint the kids floor and get a few colorful rugs seeing they can destroy carpet within a week.

Tomorrow we are heading back up to finish painting.