Aerating Lawn

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

annie

I have not aerated the lawn before and wonder if any one can give me some tips.

Is there a way to do this without renting bulky machinery? Something simple that a 13 year old could do?

The yard needs some ife put into it and fertilizer can't do it all:)

Thanks for any ideas,

Annie
shadow745

Here's a simple and cheap solution for you. I've seen people use a strap-on aerator (spikes) that simply attaches to your shoes and then you run around the yard and it effectively punches holes in the dirt. I have no idea where to find them though. Later!
annie

Wow Shadow!
Thanks for the great idea. Now to find the spikes!

Annie
Serena

I googled "aerator shoes" and found a few, but I also found what gardening expert, Walter Reeves, posted:

http://www.walterreeves.com/qa_display.phtml?qaID=654

Maybe there's another low-cost solution.
Greg

Annie, I doubt that straping on a "shoe full of nails" will do much good. The aereators punch at least a 1/2" hole. Now, you use furtilizers, by doing so you may be making the situation worse, Some brands help create a thick layer of thatch, the grass is green but it is like walking on a rug.
If you have a coperative extention in your area call them for advice or a lawn care profesional. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
annie

Thank you for your responses.

Darn! Thought those shoes sounded great. I did read the article that you linked and noted it stated that aerating is only good for a few weeks.
Fertilizer seems to have helped over the years except for a few areas.
The yard just has some bare spots and some thin areas. This is why I thought aerating would help.

Really want it for the areas that are thin and grass struggles to grow. No shade-seems to have the same-same as the rest of the yard. Ohwell!

Annie
Greg

You could try scraching it up a little & add more seed to what you have, Or Scotts Turf builder does work, however I would not use it year after year as I said too much will promote a thath problem.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."