Substitute to wood

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jassikahilton

Hi, recently we got into our new house. Everything were in good shape apart from the doors. It was strange but the condition of the doors were not good at all and they were made of wood. As far as I know wooden materials last long and are durable but this was something different. Anyways we have to replace them now my hubby wants them to substitute with wood again to which I am not ready, I want some better alternatives to wood so that they can last a long period. I do not want to see the new doors in such shabby condition again.
Last edited by jassikahilton on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Hi & welcome. For interior doors You most likely have Hollow wood doors. They have almost paneling type covering. You could replace them with hollow core again and the do have different styles or go to a solid wood door.
For outside doors I would go with a good steel door. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

If you go with a solid wood interior door, you better consider beefing up the frame. I doubt any 1x3 is gonna hold that weight.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Good point, since there is no indication of the year of the home, I never gave that a thought. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."