Storm Windows

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bkbunny

:? don't know what these are called,,, but, they are those lil wing nut type things that hold storm windows unto frame. :lol:
Having just repainted kitchen, 8) I don't want to put these ugly lil brown things on my window molding.
Any suggestions?? Any place where they sell colored plastic wing nut thingys????
Thanks all
Manitoba Bill

You might look for clear plastic mirror mounts at a dollar store or HD. You might have to mount them reversed to hold the window.

I also used washers in a pinch.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Greg

I think you are pretty much stuck with them unless you rip them out and put double hung windows in. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Great idea Bill!

If you can't find what you are looking for you could consider painting them. Wash them well, dry well, prime with a spray primer and then paint color of your choice. If they are plastic you can use Krylon spray paint for plastic. Many different colors and won't take long at all to do it.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bkbunny

If its not one thing its another been off line due to modem not working,
Thanks Bill great idea, i went up to store and got 6 to "try out" worked great and not as noticible as them ugly brown plastic things
Thanks
Mee Mee

Hi bkbunny....
I've got the same problem you do. I was cruising the website www.hardwareandtools.com looking at various window clips. Some of them are hard to locate on this website, but browsing different door and window hardware, I'm going to go to my local hardware store that sells 'onesies' and try several different types of the metal storm door clips for windows and screens; and maybe paint them. My problem is someone took out all the interior storm windows and stacked them in the shed. In immediate need (moved in the end of November), I bought some of those ugly plastic thingys, some of my storms are not in the correct windows with gaps at the top, and some of the plastic things split and broke off. I can't figure out how to put the top half of the storm window in and hold it in place while trying to put the bottom part in, nor do I know which side goes in and which goes outward. I'm thinking the storm door clips will 'hang' onto the top half since I don't have four arms and hands to work with! That website has some tremendous prices on MH hardware! Think I'll be a regular shopper. Mee Mee, the do-it-herselfer!