New here, painting texturing etc...

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

okiemommy

Hi everyone! I am new here and my husband and I just purchased a 2002 skyline (I think that's the name of it) on 5 acres of land. We haven't moved into it yet, we are wanting to get the living room and kitchen done first. (BY MARCH 31st!! GASP!) We are putting joint compound in the joints, putting the metal strips on the corners, washing the walls with TSP(thanks to the information from this site!)using texture paint to texture the walls in a knockdown stucco, then painting. We hope to get new trim, put up crown molding, add baseboards(there isn't any now)and put wood laminate flooring in the living room as well. Sooooo having said that, just to make sure that I have this right: We put Joint compound in the joints, sand it down, put more in, sand it down, wash the walls with TSP, Prime it, then apply the knockdown stucco, then paint.
Have I forgotten anything? Is that the right order?

I will build a profile as soon as I can make the time..I also have four kids and am helping plan my 10 year reunion that is in June so I may not build a profile for a while. lol
Any advice is welcome. thanks! :idea:
Trudi

Sounds like you have some busy times ahead. I haven't used texturing paint, but have used joint compound to texturize walls. The only thing I would suggest is, when filling the seams with joint compound, use the seam tape. I made this mistake once, and never again. :wink: I had used spackling, then sanded, but it shrank into the seams, when it dried, so the seams showed through the tissue paper technique I did. Of course that may not happen with textured paint since it's thicker.

I'm a little confused by your statement, "using texture paint to texture the walls in a knockdown stucco, then painting." Do you mean you are using something other than textured paint (like joint compound) first, and then painting, or are you using the thick paint to achieve your texture? If using joint compound, be sure to prime before painting, because jc drinks paint like you wouldn't believe, if not primed first.
okiemommy

Thank you for replying! =D My husband said that he only used the seam tape in the seams that had gaps...some of them were really close together...and he's already done it, so I hope it works :( LOL He also said that he used the jc once let it dry, sanded it down, then put on second coat and let that dry then sanded that down. I hope it worked! I hope you're right too about the texture paint possible being thick enough to cover that up, if it happens.

To answer your question,
We're priming first, then we're using Behr texture paint from Home depot to texture the walls instead of using joint compound. The style of texture that we're doing is knockdown stucco. Then we're applying a coat of regular paint on that for color. =D [/quote]