The mud season has started!

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TeresaLynn

We've been in our Michigan mobile home for around 2 years now, and this year was the first time I noticed hwo much mud we had during the melting snow, and rainy season. Needless to say, I went to a local landscaper today and bought $180.00 worth of 20"x20" 'patio' blocks. 28 or 20 of them in all.

You see, I have no sidewalk from my stairs to the parking lot area, so I needed something. My mom said my red bricks that I tossed down for people to walk on looked ''hillbilly'' lol So she took me to buy ''sophisticated'' blocks.

I still tossed them down (but in a nice neat order just like I did the red 'wall' bricks). They were sooo heavy, around 20 lbs. each and I'm just a fat out of shape house mommy trying to save her carpets LoL So I was really huffing by the end of laying all these patio blocks down.

They are beyond weeble-wobbly without having done it the right way (which I plan on doing as soon as the weather warms up more and I get a burst of super mom energy!) but MOM 'hillbillied'' up by stuffing rocks under them LoL Then she dropped the corner of one the blocks on my big toe and I swear broke it >.<

Needless to say, you will see the before and after pictures as I complete the project. Advice is ALWAYS welcome, as is 'you can do it! don't give up!' support LoL My husband started a new job 3 months ago, so he's been working 7 days a week at 12 hour shifts. We only have him for 3 hours in the evening, and I don't want him doing all this work so I'm going to try and do it.

I guess I have to dig down about 12 inches for the blocks, pour peagravel down, then sand, then put the flipping blocks back down.. and pour finishing sand on them and sweep the rest back into the bag. The landscaper said if I bring him the bag back and what I seep back up that I can have the finishing sand for free LoL

Bless him though, he's a sweetheart. My mom put him through hell today asking all these weird questions about patio blocks, and how to do this. I figure if I have the kids jump up an down on them for a few days they'll settle into place! The kids, not the blocks. Maybe I am hillbilly (that and I just like playing the hillbilly cause it gets my mom going lol).

I love this forum by the way, and would have posted more but I just got back online a month or so ago. Feels like being home now that I can run to my favorite site! Oh my god, and I love the 'paint laminate countertops' topic. I'm going to do that this summer on mine. Man, will my mom freak when I say I'm going to paint the counters LoL

~ Teresa
bkbunny

Hey there fellow Michiganderette,, lol,, this might get booted over to the any topic section but, oh well. I to have that dreaded red clay up here, first year I was here I got some wood pellet boards and had them from my drive to my stairs. So,, your mom would really of loved that lol.. I have now upgraded lol to red bricks, and patio blocks a mismatch of sorts but no mud and then last year for Moms day my boys had gravel dumped in driveway, so now tires are clean lol and the mismatched stones are rather set in the clay...
But, as I see it our muddy days means I can look forward to spring and our few days of summer we get up here north of the bridge!!
Jim from Canada

It's not white, and you don't have to shovel it....I am just waiting for mud!

Jim
Yanita

Hi,

Ummmm, nothing really gets "booted" to another forum unless it is totally unrelated to the forum in which it was originally posted. Staying on topic within the repair, HVAC, website questions, needs to stay that way. We have several pros that do not have the time to read entire threads that go off topic. They have limited time.

As for the decorating forum I don't get to nervous about going off topic to a point. BUT, there are some threads that have a great project that includes good instructions, in all fairness folks do not always want to read thru a variety of stories to get to the final conclusion...

Have a great day! :D

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bkbunny

sorry i didn't really actually mean "booted" I should of chose my words better. :wink:
I know better then to ramble about a topic that really isn't where its suppose to be rambled on about,,,,,,, hmmmm I ama bad girl i think i just did it again,,,,,,,,, hey I am old thats my story and sticking to it lol
ya all have a great day,, the sun is out!!!!
Yanita

LOL, no problem, just felt the need to set things right and let people know why things are done the way they are. When and if a thread needs to be moved I always give a brief explanation as to why.

We strive to keep this site friendly and a comfortable place for those that need help...

Now as for mud... I have been known to throw a full sheet of 3/4 CDX on the ground and call it good! Right now we have all those miserable little pea stones in our driveway, previous owner did that...man what was he thinking...they get stuck in the treads of boots and sneakers and are hard on high heels!

I am currently looking into several different types of pavers with a combination of brick to create several walkways on this property...

The cost is amazing. I have secured ALOT of recycled brick, but the pavers are quite costly. I have several very long walkways that I would like to make.

Try checking out your local Craigslist or Freecycle chapter to see if you can find any landscaping items! I got a 1/2 pallet of brick for next to nothing.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!