Gun slot window ideas

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Kimpossible

Time to put your thinking caps on gals & guys. My front entry door has a gun slot window. Image

I am soliciting ideas to prevent "visitors" from looking in the window but I at the same time I want to be able to let light in when I want it.

I came up with the brilliant idea of a shutter with movable louvers (much like a mini blind) but my repair guy (also known as my dad) doesn't think this will work since there could be nothing for the screws to grab onto. Of course, I could go with the standard curtain but that would mean I would need to make the curtain myself due to the narrowness of the window. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that my sewing machine is buried at the moment. I also thought about the privacy film but that doesn't work well at night when there is back lighting. As a matter of fact it works oppositely of what it does during the day!

So....any creative ideas from y'all? Thanks in advance for your input.
Serena

Some of my neighbors have that stick-on "stained glass" plastic. Others have moveable artwork.

I have sheers and frosted glass, and I make sure that when it is lighter inside than out, that I am dressed suitable for being out.

I'm sure others will have nifty suggestions.
Yanita

Hi,

I like the shutter idea. I know that Lowe's sell the real narrow ones and sometimes they are made of the light weight plastic. I think I would screw it into place but maybe use liquid nails on the back of the hinge plate that screws onto the door itself. It may or may not work.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Bubble wrap. It lets light through, but you can't see through it. You could add some frosted plexiglass also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
happysmyly

When we lived only feet from our neighbor I covered our windows with a frosted contact paper--I got it from Home Depot--it has little diamond type patterns in it and lets all the light in. A friend liked it and used it on her windows that are on either side of her front door. And - when wanting to make a change--it comes off easily and with a good cleaning there is no residue.
:) Liz
kungemini

I suggest bamboo wrap, for it has on pollution, and it could provide an oriental manner, in my opinion.
Last edited by kungemini on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeresaLynn

One thing I did with my diamond shaped glass window (in my front door) was taped off the inside 'frame' of the sill, so it wouldn't get paint on it. Then I used 'model ink' cobalt blue paint to paint the glass. It gave it a dark enough color to really help hide peeping friends, but also let enough light in to make the glass really glow in the daytime.

The paint was a small bottle, made for painting miniatures or hobby items. It was 'ink' paint (which basically means glassy looking and half see through once painted on). It looks a lot more like stained glass than regular paint would. Stained glass paint would work also, I just couldn't find any in my area.

You can also buy 'frost' paint at most paint stores, it's in a can and you tape the window sill and then then tape paper a few feet around the window and paint the glass while it's still right in the door. It really frosts the glass, and no one can see in OR out with this on the door. I used the spray paint frost effect in my bathroom window. It will get scratches and scrapes in the frost though if someone or something nicks or hits the glass.

I had a neighbor who used spray adhesive on a doily (dolley?) she cut to fit her door's window, then she stuck the lacy doily onto the glass. It looked sorta cool, original.

I do like your shutter idea though, and using the liquid nails or a really good hot glue gun should hold the frame up there with no problem. The only problem I could see might be in the cold weather perhaps the bonding agent would let loose easier. Course Yanita always has the best ideas :)
Yanita

Hi,

If you like the stained glass look there are some special paints you can buy to paint directly on the glass to get the look. You can also buy bottles of liquid leading to really give the effect. These can be purchased at Wal Mart or for even more money at any craft store. If you buy the kind that is intended for "faux" stained glass applications it is removeable. IF you get the paints that are designed to paint on dishes this is permanent!

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty White Boy

I have mirror tint on my car...if you look in from the outside all you see is your own reflection, but from the inside looking out, everything is fine...

advanced auto parts
Yanita

Hi,

I have done that as well in our last home. Our sons bedroom would get horribly hot due to the sun. I bought ours at WalMart, good size roll Limo tint, thick and durable.

Yanita
Sylvia

When we had one of those at our first trailer, I put in some shirred lace curtains on little rods and had them attached top and bottom.

A idea I played with was a small skinny stained glass thing that could be glued into the window.

It ended up that we replaced the door. It was a lot more economical because as it saved us money on heating and cooling. In my experience those kind of doors are foam filled and lightweight. It's normally better just to replace the door than to try to "fix" it so it's better to not have people see through.