Flooring question

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DavidW

Diane, Yanita,

I found a 1500 Watt blow dryer, positioned it 1/4" above a scrap tile piece, turned it on high for five minutes with zero negative effect on the tile.

No blistering, no discoloration, nothing. This even suprised me.

I then put a puddle of petroleum based Goo-Gone on the surface for several minutes, thinking it would soften the vinyl. But again, no ill effects.

So far, the tile looks viable, especially since the total cost of materials to do the counter top was $12.00.

Yes, the really best way would be with real tile or cultured stone tile. And the cost would not be too bad. But the installation would take special cutting equipment and grouting technique.

I did this job with left over tile from the floor project and left over silicone from the shower project. It didn't cost me one cent additional to do it.
Yanita

Mornin David,

Hey thanks for the test, we need a home tester sometimes! You got a curling iron you can get hot and let set there for about 30 minutes? :shock: How about spilling some nail polish remover on it as well. If your gonna test it for us then I can give you a list of all those female products that are stored in the bathrooms. :D

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
texasprairierose

Thanks for the experiments David. A couple of weeks ago, we bought two 18"x18" Cryntel tiles and I have been doing my own experiments. Those tiles seem very durable. I have my laundry room painted and almost ready to lay the tile. I will post pictures once we get it finished.

Diane
DavidW

Yanita,

I don't have those items readily available, but I'll see what I can find and post results.

Diane,

Your welcome. I'll be looking for your photos.

I'll post a couple of my kitchen and hallway done with the same Cryntel EuroStone.
threnners

Two years ago I did my den in Cryntel 18x18 tiles. All we did was pull out the carpet & nail strips, and sand down any rough spots on the flooring, stuck 'em down and were done. (You start in the center of the room and work your way out to the walls.) It was a one day project.

There was just a tiny bit of separation in a couple of places, but they are out of the way and not of major concern. None of them have popped up as yet, so I say it's worth it.