Hanging plants

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JD
Site Admin

Went out and got a bunch of perennials and these hanging basket things today. The basket is a decorative powder coated black wire thing that supports a mat of coconut husk stuff. I am hoping that the moss looking coconut stuff will hold more moisture for the plants through the day. Last year we bought the hanging plants in the plastic containers just before that scorching hot period and they all died off. I have 1/4" tubing going to all the baskets and set to water every day. I hope this year is better.

Has anyone tried those gel things that disperse water through the day? They didn't have them at the store today but they had the same stuff in little granules.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Hi JD,

Well, I could have told you what those plastic pots will do to plants in triple digits LOL!

I've got 4 of those hanging planters out on the deck. Now, I still have to water frequently during triple digits, because the water does just run through them fairly quick. Here's a couple of tips. Water them as normal, once the water has quit dripping give them a shot or two of more water. Make sure that the soil is goo dand moist.

Another thing I found last year was a fine shredded mulch that works wonders on potted plants! That even helped those planters out in direct sun 14 hours a day. It's small enough to use on potted plants, and holds up well for a season. I'll have to replace it again this year. It deteriorates fairly fast.

Can't believe you're only a few hundred miles from me and out buying flowers already! I guess that's what I get for living up North here in the Sierra Nevada's! Still have snow on the ground. I won't be planting until May at the earliest.

Maureen 8)
JD
Site Admin

I'll try the mulch. That will probably help. We are out working all day, so we aren't here for a second dose of water. To set the plants to get water more than once a day, I will need to run a separate trunk line out there. Right now they are tapped into the line to the hedges. Too much water and those things grow like crazy and need trimming every week or two.

Yeah you are just a bit north and the other side of the hill, but big difference in climate right now. I almost feel guilty about all this nice weather we have been having lately. Mark's pics of the snow is too much and sounds like people are getting tired of winter. But this summer when it is 105 for a week or two, I will be wishing for fall.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Sylvia

The only real way to get container plants to live is to check and water them at least once a day. I don't think there is any way around that. There are lots of gimmicks but I've never found one that worked better than the above method. :)
Yanita

Hi JD,

With the hanging coconut husk baskets I have a large plastic shallow storage bin that I fill with water and then set those hangers into it while I am weeding other areas. After a fair amount of time I rehang and set more into the container. Maybe a little more time consuming but container plants thrive alot better when water from the bottom thoroughly.

For container plants I also add these little white beads things (forget the name) when the plants are soaked as I mentioned above these beads absorb the water. The soil will absorb that water when needed, they last a couple days before re watering is needed.

Man, you are a brave soul to be talking about gardening...I to have purchased and planted several roses this weekend. Just did not dare to post about it as so many others are having really depressing weather.

Since this is my first real spring planting I also bought a bunch of bulbs... freesia's, caladium's, crocosmia's, dahlia's, and lillie's and elephant ears, as well as the 8 climbing rose plants I mentioned earlier. Sure seems good to be playing in the dirt...until I found a nest of FIRE ANTS...

Speaking of which, Maureen, if you read this could you post your recipe again?

Have a great day!

~Yanita~ :D

Oh yeah, as Maureen said adding a good layer of the fine mulch is an excellent idea as well and works great, I also when using the very large clay pots put a plastic bag in then fill with potting mixture, punch a few small holes first before adding the soil, this helps prevent the clay pot from absorbing the water, and again add mulch to the top! :D
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Yanita,

Putting the entire planter in water, what a great idea. I really know zip about planting, gardening and such. For these plants I used potting soil, some potted plant food and some white granular stuff that is supposed to help with water. Put a good layer of fine bark like mulch on the top, wired in the drip system and there you go.

I do apologize to all the cold weather folks if I spoke too soon about this spring stuff. I know it is still winter conditions in much of the US.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Maureen

Oh you poor souls that have to get their gardens ready this time of year! Just think, you have to garden from March to November! My heart goes out to ya LOL!!!!

We're going through the tease time of the year right now. Last week snow, this week we're suppose to be in the 60's, maybe even 70 by next weekend!!! We all know, and they warn us that winter will return, don't get used to it!

I won't even start planting bare roots until next month. I've got more red twig dog woods and lavender that I want planted. My biggest delima this year, is whether to plant a cool specimen evergreen, in the main bed out front, or go with a garden structure, like a small well or something. It's gotta be rustic, and I'm not doing a water feature!

More than likely, that's all I have time for this year!

Yanita, the fire ant recipe is simple. 2 parts borax to one part sugar. Place it in a old margarine tub, don't even have to clean it! Place it in the middle of the mound. Keep checking it every 4 to 5 days, and replacing the mixture. It takes time, but does work. I haven't had fire ants for 2 years, but I have a funny feeling that was also due to the very wet Winters we've had prior.

Oh yeah, that mulch added about a month and a half to my annuals last year!

Maureen 8)
Yanita

Thank you!

~Yanita~
Maureen

Oh yeah, punch holes large enough for the ants to get in around the bottom of the tub! This makes it kid and animal friendly! Just make sure that you tell the grandkids not to play with it.

Maureen 8)
Harry

Hi All

That moisture retention product is call perlite. Good stuff. I use it all the time.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

Yep, perlite. I put that in there. But when I was at OSH, the garden section guy told me about some type of gel pad. Absorbs water and releases it over time. He was walking me over to the shelf when he saw they were all out of these things. Anyone use these gel pads?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Maureen

Hi JD,

I've heard of them but never used them!

I bet if I hit the garden shops up here now, I can find them! I might try to take the time to pick some up this week, so I do have them!

Any product that means I don't have to water as much is well worth it to me!

Maureen 8)
Yanita

Hi Guys,

As I was sorting through gardening stuff today I thought I would share a tip for those of us that do not have drip systems for hanging plants.

I came across my vast collection of colored bottles...you can do this as decoratively as you want. Simply wrap the bottle in some sort of wire. I leave the wire on the spool add beads and charms as I wrap, when you get to the neck pull off about 18" of wire and cut. Form a hook, clothes hanger style. Fill the bottle with water, and a length of clothes line rope, the cotton type. This acts as a wick, make sure the rope "coils" at the bottom of the bottle, take the other end and move a small amount of soil to form a hole, coil the rope and put in the hole and cover with dirt. I find this works better than relying on my friends to come and water my hanging plants if I am gone for the week end.

The sun also looks real pretty shining thru the glass.

~Yanita~
busybee1952

I love your wick idea Yanita! As an added bonus, when it rains, it would fill up the bottles! How cool is that?
Yanita

Hi BusyBee,

I do not know if you have a local landfill or recycle center that you use, but if so, I find alot of cobalt blue, green, and yellow wine bottles.

They really are pretty in the sunlight!

~Yanita~