Hanging an LCD flat screen over fireplace....

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

melbert

We never use our fireplace. Really just a waste of time down here. It's too hot.

We plan on buying a flat screen, and want to hang it over the fireplace. I want to take the fireplace out, and use that open space as an "entertainment center", but my wife thinks I'm asking for trouble by doing that.

Taking the fireplace out is seems pretty self explanitory to me. My questions are....

1) Am I wasting my time taking it out?

2) What needs to be done to the roof?

3) Can I keep the current chimney cap up top and maybe stuff some insulation up there to help with the heat or should I take it out completely and patch the roof?

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks alot.
Lorne

If you are sure that the damper is closed real tight you might just keep the whole thing and use the money for the TV.

I wouldn't stuff anything in the chimney just in case you forget someday and light a fire. POOOOF.

It might be possible to put duct tape all around the edges of the damper door to make a good seal. This will require real good cleaning of the damper door so the tape sticks.

You may want the fireplace someday or if you sell it then it is a selling point.

Just a thought off the top of my head.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
SpongeBob

hi, IMO, keep the fireplace and put the extra $$ into a nice surround sound system.
-Bob
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site. I apologize I missed this thread.

I advise to post your fireplace question in the HVAC forums in the "Other Questions". I am sure there are others here that have removed there fireplaces, I almost remember a fairly recent one. Anyways, post the question in the other forum for the best results.

As for hanging a television make sure there is adequate support for the weight of the TV.

The roof, well the proper way would to be remove the chimney stack, and patch the hole and then replace your shingles. Or do you have a metal roof?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Here it is Yanita:

viewtopic.php?t=1502&highlight=removing ... 5a6ca618d1

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Sylvia

We have tv's over two fireplaces. They are too tall for comfortable viewing unless the room is very large. Be prepared for sore necks.