Counter tops

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bkbunny

I have this wood grain looking counter top in kitchen, it has several chips on front edging.
To all you experienced replacers my question is if i were to take and seal a 1x2, and "glue"it to the edge would this be feasible?
I think I would need to run a bead of silicon, around counter top and this edging.
any opinions pro and con would be much appreciated.
Thanks to all who respond
Greg

If I were going to go that route, I would use a hard wood, Oak, Maple or Hickory. Glue and Nail or screw it on. Pine is too soft and in a year it may look worse than what you have now.
I have done two tile counter tops going right over the existing counter. Takes a little time, but it does look good, and not all that expensive. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bkbunny

Greg would that be ceramic tile, or vinyl tiles??
Greg

I used ceramic, this is what we ended up with after way too many trips to Lowes, I was also the one I picked out in the first place. Greg
Greg

Thi is the other end of the counter.Image
Yanita

Hi,

I am not Greg, but I have seen many pics of his home. He has ceramic tile. IMO, you would never want to use a vinyl tile on your counters. First, one slip of a knife and your counters are ruined. Second with it being a very wet area vinyl tiles would not be a good choice.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Laminated counter tops will either a factory rolled edge or an absolutely flat 90 degree edge, called Self-Edged. You will see the dark line in the corner of the Self Edge where the laminate was glued on. The Self Edge is pretty much ready to go because it is straight without a lip. I would remove the facing edge so the wood trim would be glues to the particle board base rather than the laminate.

If you have a rolled edge with a "bull-nose" lip or any type of raised edge to keep liquids on the counter, this should be removed for installing ceramic tile to get a flat lay. This could be done with a belt sander but a router would do the best job. If you want to put a wood edge on this type of lip (without using tile), I would cut the lip off to get the counter flat again and be able to have a clean transition from the laminate counter to the wood trim. Be sure to seal the wood trim real well.

As Yanita said, I would never recommend vinyl tile on any counter.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
bkbunny

YOU ALL ROCK!!!!!
Thank you all for the info.
I have lurked in this site for over a year and now that I am getting ready to get down and do the things I want your quick answering and fantastic input is much appreciated.
bkbunny

Oh yeah your kitchen looks great BTW.
Greg

..All becaused of the "FREE" dishwasher!!!! Greg
Yanita

Greg,

I noticed on your back splash it appears you have quarter round as the top trim. Did you use 1x4 as the splash then cover with tile?

The kitchen does look great...of yeah I will refrain from any comments about the free dishwasher...ROFL :lol:

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

This is how the counter top was constructed Image
I then used Oak tile molding on the top of the backsplash & front of the counter. Greg